Steel frame building

tiffany.marie, Feb 15, 10:18pm
I'm looking at purchasing a steel frame building, a small cabin. However i don't know where to begin to read up on how to finish it. EG, do i assemble a roof first before walls? do i need to put building paper on before exterior wall material? what type of insulation? HAHA i am lost. I want to be able to do this myself if possible.

hammer23, Feb 15, 11:59pm
I have worked on many steel framed houses and am not a fan of them for many reasons.
Nothing beats timber that any one with a hammer and saw can't knock up and any chippie can work with.
Steel framed,been there, done that and probably have the t.shirt somewhere.

apollo11, Feb 16, 7:54am
I recently bought a used 3 bay open front steel shed (6 x 9 meters) for $300. I have turned it into a 2 bay enclosed shed with barn doors. It's very basic to work on, just needed a cordless drill and a cutoff saw.

tygertung, Feb 16, 8:12am
You might be able to rivet if if you are wanting to make joins and some some kind of hacksaw to make cuts. Or you could use nuts and bolts.

apollo11, Feb 16, 8:42am
Self tapping screws and pop rivets.

budgel, Feb 16, 10:49am
The manufacturer should provide assembly instructions, check out their website.
The steel frame kitsets I have built used self drilling tek screws for assembly. You will need a decent screw gun for this.

There is a lot of work involved in finishing an unlined steel frame building, that to quite some degree offsets the cost savings of the original structure.
The manufacturer should provide decent assembly instructions, if they dont, I would have a serious think about whether it is a good idea to buy from them. All construction is a system which needs to be well understood before starting.

tweake, Aug 17, 3:50pm
as above, all good advice.

we have quite a few steel sheds and have converted some parts to office space, lunch room, work aeras etc.

for a lined house, its a poor way to build. common way is to build a wooden wall inside the steel wall, which kinda defeats the point of building out of steel to start with.
some manufactures do have a kit so you can line them at added cost, tho i have not seen one.

all walls, roof need the proper house wrap. roofing underlay etc.
condensation is a major issue with steel.
the floor is another issue. how does it connect to the foundations, floor etc. thats critical to get right.

the other thing is this likely to be a home?, will it need to pass building codes ?