Stainless steel bolts

Page 1 / 2
leonie11, Jan 9, 2:20pm
hi there anyone know the best place to buy stainless steel bolts. am needing 12 300mmlx24mmw? They are rather expensive! Tia

martin11, Jan 9, 2:34pm
Big Bolts try Bolt Nuts and Screws . for them

stevo2, Jan 9, 3:22pm
24mmx300mm are huge. How much are they each?

omamari, Jan 9, 3:55pm
Anzor are my pick. Are you repairing the harbour bridge?

smallwoods, Jan 9, 8:41pm
Try Stronghold Fasteners in Gisborne on Monday.
0800 number

trade4us2, Jan 9, 8:57pm

ronaldo8, Jan 9, 9:17pm
Fortress fasteners, Rosebank road

24mm thick x 300 long ? Ring them first.

Thats 2.3k judging by the closest size on the prize list above.

I suspect you may be better off buying some bar stock and getting your local friendly engineer to thread both ends in their lathe for a suitable nut.

apollo11, Jan 9, 9:25pm
The bar stock 316 I was looking at was $500 per meter. Unless of course you go to Alibaba (40 thieves), but how good is Chinese stainless?

gpg58, Jan 9, 9:58pm
A chap i talked to a while ago, said he needed similar bolts, to get his as is bought pole house up to code.
No idea if true, but said he got round it, by enclosing the galv ones that were used? Likely no use to op, but just wondered.

ronaldo8, Jan 9, 10:02pm
lets see.
300+2 for kerf x 12 = 3.624m ish.
At 12mm radius = 1639 cc at 0.008 g/mm^3 for 316 so 13.1kg or near as damn. But, closest size you'll find is 1", 25.4mm so make that 1.46kg

Both steel and tube and Mico Wakefield do a bar that size but I don't know what their prices are like for stainless at the moment, high no doubt as per tradition. But yeah, long story short, may be 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

apollo11, Jan 9, 10:30pm
I'd love to know what they are being used for. We used to design a lot of cooling systems for power transformers, which had to be good for twenty years of rough weather. Powder coated galv steel was good enough. Fasteners were stainless though.

apollo11, Jan 9, 11:04pm
I wonder if they are keel bolts?

m16d, Jan 10, 8:42am
Listing #: 2928822684

ronaldo8, Jan 10, 4:03pm
Perfect.

neell, Jan 10, 4:46pm
OP, what you going to use them for?

leonie11, Jan 18, 8:35am
yes my bolts are galvinised and rusted. how did he enclose them. I have rust kill and a wire brush to start and need enzo tape?

ebygum1, Jan 18, 8:42am
Denso tape is what you are looking for, any plumbers merchant will have it, and possibly some builders merchants.

pauldw, Jan 18, 9:55am
Just to be clear, is 24mm the bolt diameter or the socket size for the nut?

gpg58, Jan 18, 3:00pm
As i understand it, he boxed them in with wood, so as no longer considered "exposed to environment". (we are close to the coast).
Imo Denso tape would likely be better, but no idea if that would satisfy code(horrid messy stuff to work with, but is very good protection).

neell, Jan 18, 7:36pm
OP, what are you using them for?
Also as asked above - is the thread part 24mm or the socket for the nut? This would make the thread 16mm.
Also Denso tape is easy to use and not that messy unless you are working in +40 degree heat. I have used it many times at gold and iron ore mines in WA and it provides excellent rust protection.

gpg58, Jan 19, 12:16am
Fair enough, it's not too bad in the cool.

Last time i used it was an iron roof, on a hot summers day.
Used it wrap some insulated refrigeration pipework, that seagulls kept on destroying sections of.
Customer asked if i could think of anything to stop them.
Seemed to work well as a deterrent, but as far as taping or wrapping anything up goes, hard to think of anything more messy, in those conditions.

bvalc, Jan 21, 10:54am
Bunnings have a range of stainless steel fittings etc. If you are with 7kms from the sea, you are supposed to use s/s nails nuts bolts etc.

pauldw, Jan 21, 12:27pm
The Coastal Zone is 500m in most areas not 7km. The problem for structural bolts is not external salt but the copper in the timber treatment attacking the galvanising inside the bolted joint.

bergkamp, Jan 21, 1:47pm
true its the copper attacking the galv but salt accelerates it

bergkamp, Jan 21, 1:52pm
denso tape sounds like a great idea , for the shank and thread of the bolt but what about the head and washer -presumably they will still have CCA run off