Steel garden sheds

sue72, Jul 8, 10:09am
Do you get a lot of condensation in metal garden sheds?Thinking of getting one but worried power tools etc might get rusty

jane310567, Jul 8, 10:13am
isn't condensation from temp differences? Should be same temp in and out?

tweake, Jul 8, 10:42am
tons of condensation. if the roof as a good pitch and no beam etc on it, it will just run down it to the wall.
otherwise install building paper so if it drips off it collects on the paper and is drained away. no different to a house.

clangie, Jul 8, 5:56pm
poster 2 is correct

chrisgbrown, Jul 8, 8:17pm
I'd be more concerned with putting it together.

budgel, Jul 8, 8:38pm
My first thoughts too!

jonners2013, Jul 8, 11:13pm
poster 3 is also correct in that sheds are damp - which was what the OP was really asking.

tweake, Jul 8, 11:20pm
not a lot do to with it. as its got walls and not much ventilation, outside will cool down quicker than inside.

its the steel being cooled down to dew point is the big thing.

daryl14, Jul 9, 4:19am
I have two different steel sheds. Never seen condensation in them in the damp old waikato, rain or fog. They are raised off the ground and have wooden plank floors.

Once I had one stacked full of firewood and it used to rain condensation inside there.

tweake, Jul 9, 5:09am
waikato . damp. LOL

if i go into my garage (typical cheape) early morning you can see the condensation running down the roofing iron. there is water stains down the purlins from 20+ years of condensation dripping on it.
the garage is actually bone dry. the water just evaporates off.

i've had no problem with gear getting wet in the garden sheds, condensation runs down the roof and out so nothing gets wet.

mack77, Nov 25, 7:16am
When there is a clear sky at night the temperature inside an uninsulated sheet-metal shed will be lower than the outside temperature. This is because the low emissivity of the roof results in thermal energy being radiated from the roof. Hard to believe but it's true.