Stainless steel bolts

Page 2 / 2
neell, Jan 21, 3:17pm
You mold the denso take around the nut and washer, the first couple will be a bit difficult but you soon get the hang of it.

martin11, Jan 21, 3:29pm
Many years ago I built a pole house close to the sea and the holes were drilled slightly oversize and each bolt had a length of alkathene on it and malthoid under each washer .

tegretol, Jan 23, 12:19am
If they are then SS ain't for that. Need to use either old-fashioned galv with tar, or Silicone bronze/Gunmetal and Sika.

Can the OP tell us what 25mm bolts are being used for tho. sounds like a gargantulus structure.

apollo11, Jan 23, 11:51am
I know SS isn't ideal for the purpose, but some people do use it.

neell, Jan 23, 8:21pm
The use seems to be a secret, the usage question has been asked a number of times.
Time to move on I think.

rossy29, Jan 25, 9:49pm
read the thread properly

mrcat1, Jan 25, 9:54pm
What grade Stainless do you need?

tmenz, Jan 27, 11:54am
Contact this trader and ask them the question:
www.handywarehouse.co.nz

They have a huge range of stainless steel (and other) fasteners for good prices.

onl_148, Jan 27, 12:23pm
Has the OP just decided that stainless steel is what is required or has the use of stainless steel been specified in some "approved design" or specification for this job ? i.e. has the op been told he / she has to use stainless steel or has it been his / her decision ?

tygertung, Jan 27, 12:40pm
Often people don't realise that stainless steel is weaker than regular steel.

tegretol, Aug 22, 1:59am
And is also far more prone to corrosion in certain conditions than regular steel. It's brittle. In the right conditions, it is useful tho.