Building permit

kiwigirl, Oct 11, 11:08pm
We are looking at switching our kitchen to our dinning and dinning to the kitchen to make better flow through the house. Would we need a builders permit? As new plumbing would have to be installed in the new kitchen?

underconstructy, Oct 11, 11:28pm
Based on the limited information provided id say probably. New sanitary plumbing fittings require building consent.

daryl14, Oct 12, 2:12am
Does the council hold plans to your house?

bluecat1529, Oct 12, 4:37am
Have a talk to your plumber and builder. If you are altering any load bearing walls then yes definitely you will need a consent. If you are moving plumbing a few metres without adding any more services and connecting to the existing wastes or gully trap you may be ok. Some small work can be exempt but your tradies will be able to give you the right advice when they have had a look at what you propose

tintop, Oct 12, 5:21am
This :)

Exactly what I did when I re-arranged a bathroom.
Toilet stayed, everything else was shuffled about.

No consent.

sr2, Oct 12, 5:25am
See #3!

kiwigirl, Oct 12, 5:36am
Thanks for the answers. The dining and kitchen are next to each other so we are Flipping them. Hubby putting the kitchen in but will get a plumber in to see what he needs to do and if we need permit etc

newtec1, Oct 12, 9:23am
If you are still using the same drainage system for the same purpose i wouldn't bother getting a consent. Just a waste of good money to satisfy the bureacrats.I presume you won't be changing anything structually,only the position of the kitchen and dining.No big deal,go for it.

gary231, Oct 19, 9:03am
Permits have not been issued since 2004 they are now called building consents.

ksam, Oct 20, 2:22am
Lucky you cleared that up, everyone was so confused and didn't know what to make of it all

sooby, Oct 20, 4:54am
Yeah, who needs insurance payouts when you lodge a claim, right?

No permit = massive reason for insurance company to deny a claim, I'd hate to have a total loss and then lose out on the value of my house for the sake of a $1,000ish permit!

soxxy, Oct 20, 5:13am
Just go to your council and ask them and tell them what you are going to do. I did, and explained that we were putting a separate shower in place of a bath/shower over the bath across the room about 2.5 metres and was told that was OK - so long as no extra drainage pipes were being created.

newtec1, Oct 20, 8:14am
Why would it affect ins,they are not altering the drainage,the structural integrity,the exterior or interfering with the safety aspect at all.As long as it is built to code and electrical safety standard and they have records of proof,how would it affect the ins.

lissie, Oct 21, 9:24am
This was exactly what I was advised as well - we have gutted and re-arranged the kitchen, moved the laundry (but not the drains), gutted and replaced the bathroom, knocked down a non load bearing wall, filled in an external door and window and replaced other windows with new ones. So long as you don't cut bigger holes ie enlarge windows or doors or knock down load bearing walls you don't need a consent.

You need to ensure that everything is to code, and is signed off by a LBP and a plumber and electrician for their bits

newtec1, Oct 22, 4:05am
Exactly.The only issue an ins co would have is if it was due to faulty workmanship by unskilled tradies.

johotech, Oct 22, 4:32am
Even though a lot of the work doesn't require a consent, you can lodge updated plans of the property with the council for inclusion in your property file. I would recommend doing this where walls have been removed or moved, or doorways moved or closed off.

By lodging the current plans, when you go to sell the property in the future, the plans included in the LIM will match the property layout.

A small fee from the council for lodging plans of course.

newtec1, Oct 22, 7:34am
Good idea.

sandymrph, Aug 24, 6:12pm