Building consent for extending a downpipe?

Page 1 / 2
mieshammie, Oct 5, 12:09am
We have a downpipe that empties onto the roof. We want to extend it by about a metre so that it empties closer to the gutter. Just a case of attaching a length to the end of what is already there. Someone has suggested that we have to get a Building Consent to do that, and that it has to be done by a registered plumber, which seems ridiculous to me. Anyone have any advice please?

mybooks, Oct 5, 12:30am
I don't know about permit. by gutter do you mean spouting?. if so, don't have water coming out of the new pipe too close to the spouting, as with the water pressure coming from the pipe, it's likely to push water over the spouting edge.

johotech, Oct 5, 12:32am
Pretty sure you'll also need a resource consent, as rain water is a resource.

mieshammie, Oct 5, 12:34am
Yes mybooks, by guttering I mean the spouting!

iluvmuse, Oct 5, 12:36am
just build a fort to divert the water

russ18, Oct 5, 12:59am
I wouldn't involve council in such a petty change.

tansey, Oct 5, 1:03am
OMG You need to stop talking to those friends! Next we will have people telling us we need to have a council nod to paint the roof or clean the gutter!

r.g.nixon, Oct 5, 1:15am
Councils just want to make mountains out of molehills. Don't encourage them!

daryl14, Oct 5, 1:16am
You can/should get some elbows and glue and re route the first down pipe into the second, below the guttering. And no, there is no consent needed as the rain water is already going to the same place, the stormwater system. Your plumbing merchant will sell you all the required parts. Best idea is to take them in a photo.

rak1, Oct 5, 1:43am
You wont need a consent. Make yourself a spreader and problems all sorted.

mieshammie, Oct 5, 1:59am
Thank you all, that's great. Yes the spreader is what we're looking at. Cheers!

newtec1, Oct 5, 4:00am
As rak has said,all you need is a spreader to divert the water over a bigger area instead of the one spot. Simple.

mkbooks, Oct 5, 4:14am
Check with a registered plumber!

newtec1, Oct 5, 4:34am
You don't need a registered anything.They only intend to move the outlet closer to the spouting in which case under the code they will require a spreader to divert the spread of water.They are not increasing the volume,just moving the outlet.

zak410, Oct 5, 4:39am
I think you may need a certified scaffolding. :)

survivalkiwi, Oct 5, 5:55am
And a certified plumber.
And a building consent.
And a health and safety plan.
It may pay to get hold of OSH to come and do an inspection first.
Give us enough time and would could make it more economical to demolish and rebuild the house.

golfdiver, Oct 5, 6:46am
Installing a spreader is dead easy. Just make sure you make the holes a decent size and be careful not to have it spilling onto screws or nails or a sheet lap. Your plumbing supplier will sell you a kit . Don't glue the end caps on. You need to be able to take them off to clear impediments.

rojill, Oct 5, 7:05am
You forgot an approved traffic management plan !

mieshammie, Oct 5, 8:34am
Maybe 4 designs for the spreader and a national referendum costing several million $$$.

captaingraham, Oct 5, 9:29am
Might need an Electrical Safety Certificate.

newtec1, Oct 6, 6:08am
You all forgot to mention N I W A, they are responsible for the water in the first place.

sr2, Oct 6, 7:08am
What about consultation with the local Iwi?

bashfulbro, Oct 6, 7:17am
And as this is NZ,and the work is being carried out more than 6 inches above the ground, you may also have to notify OSH, at least 10 days prior to the job going ahead.
After they hold their internal inquiry into your project, and send you a bill,they will then notify United Nations.

bashfulbro, Oct 6, 7:22am
The whole 27 of them ?

vivienney, Sep 8, 1:47pm
I think it may impact on my bill of human rights so better check in with the Commission there too. Pays to be careful.