Bathroom/tiles

Page 1 / 2
penwill1, Jul 13, 7:57pm
We have a small bathroom, 2.7 x 2 and are thinking of tiling floor and walls. What are your thoughts and or any idea of prices.

eburb, Jul 13, 8:26pm
Can't help on prices but I clean a few bathrooms and find most floor tiles are slippery and dangerous. Also light coloured ones show all the hair that falls.

penwill1, Jul 13, 8:27pm
What would recommend for the floor?

eburb, Jul 13, 8:30pm
Probably unpopular but I'd stick with vinyl. Ours is 11 years old and still looks like new. Easier to keep clean too.

penwill1, Jul 13, 8:57pm
what do you have on the walls

wine-o-clock, Jul 13, 9:04pm
cold

cinderellagowns, Jul 13, 9:07pm
I've just done a small ensuite with tiles on floor and walls - looks great and not slippery at all. I was careful to choose a neutral colour, large tile format. Wall hung toliet and vanity makes it appear larger, as does having the same tiles throughout. No lines and changes from one format tile to another, or from tile to plain wall etc means the space is not broken up into smaller sections if that makes sense.
I defintely don't like the shiny marble look tiles with the very definite "veining" - they look hideous on walls and floor and make you feel like you are in a marble box. Just my opinion of course.

cinderellagowns, Jul 13, 9:11pm
Also we had a glass walled, walk in shower which added to the spacious feeling for the small space we had. Not the cheapest option to have a walkin (as opposed to a shower "unit"). Oh, and undertile heating was not much of an added expense at the time of tiling. Sooo good on these winter mornings. I often walk in to find the cat curled up in front of the toilet so it must be pretty cosy!

harm_less, Jul 16, 2:48pm
Consider cork tiles. We've done our last two bathrooms with ones from Portco which have a dramatic veneer layer on the surface and are pre-finished with gloss varnish. Easy to lay yourself and cut to size with a snap blade knife. They're far more welcoming to walk on with bare feet for those late night toilet visits - warmer than ceramic tiles. https://portugalcork.co.nz/cork-patterns

lythande1, Jul 16, 3:56pm
I like the look. until the grout goes yuk.
I seratoned instead, easy to keep clean. and waterproof.

wine-o-clock, Jul 16, 4:21pm
the grout needs to be sealed to prevent the dirt

pasadena1, Jul 16, 6:12pm
Get underfloor heating - well worth it!

penwill1, Jul 16, 7:15pm
Thank you all for your comments, still not sure what we will do, so further comments/ideas are appreciated.

phoenix22, Jul 17, 8:35am
what sort of look are you going for? Industrial, modern, monochromatic, elegant?

I personally like darker tiles and grout, specifically those that look like stone or concrete.

We didn't have the money at my old house to tile, but we went for a dark grey wall, with dark vinyl on the floor, with white fixtures (tub, toilet, vanity, bathroom unit), etc, along with white skirting boards. I liked the look that provided, but it wont be everyone's cup of tea. In a smaller bathroom, it will no doubt make it look smaller too.

chas, Jul 17, 7:11pm
If you are putting vinyl on floor why not walls as well. looks great and will wear well easy to clean etc. Being a retired layer had done many walls. Good luck with whatever you choose.

penwill1, Jul 17, 10:40pm
That's interesting i had no idea vinyl could be put on walls. I feel tiles for our 70's house might be a little over the top, just really wanting to modernize. Have just changed from low pressure to mains pressure, my golly can hardly stand straight in the shower. Needed to upgrade before we get new shower etc.

dee238, Jul 18, 4:01am
What about Seratone for the walls. Can get some gorgeous colours these days. It's also easy to clean.

john946, Nov 10, 8:07pm
Interested to read above comments as we are renovating our 1970's bathroom. We have arranged with a tiler to put 400x300 tiles on the walls and floors, but a friend said to check about putting tiles on the walls from floor to ceiling in case they prove to heavy on the gib walls. Has anyone experienced problems with wall tiles; (we thought we'd put extra nails into the studs.) Any advice appreciated. C

clangie, Nov 10, 8:49pm
if your tiling walls there is a screw pattern you follow in conjunction with the gib aqualine

tegretol, Nov 11, 12:08am
Tiles are a fantastic water trap after a few years. Use Seratone or even better use IBS Showerline.

tygertung, Nov 11, 6:05am
I usually just paint walls with resene kitchen and bathroom paint.

clangie, Nov 11, 6:10am
seratone is the worst thing to put in a bathroom, its 80s technology. the modern equivilent is hardiglaze-alot stronger and wont rot

molly37, Nov 11, 6:25am
We have tiled floors and walls. Dark floor with lighter walls. We chose not to have those super shiny tiles as firstly i dont like that look and we have a pool and didnt want kids coming in to the lou and slipping. We have never slipped on these. For a small bathroom go for larger tiles. You cant use aqualine but an alternative as the tiles too heavy. They do look a lot more luxurious than seratone in my opinion. Yes you have to be diligent with cleaning in the shower as the grouting can discolour, but ours took about 10 or so years. I am a fussy cleaner though. And i also sealed the grouting initially.

lythande1, Nov 11, 8:09am
I seratoned mine. And lino on floor. Tiles are nice, but it doesn't take long for the grout to go yuk.

tegretol, Sep 11, 6:46am
Agree. Which is why I mentioned IBS showerline. It's ally faced and is as tough as old boots.