Recommend a Very Thorny Climbing Rose Please?

Page 2 / 2
hound31, Oct 19, 5:32pm
Thanks everyone. I ended up with a red berried Pyracantha (thanks articferrit ) and it's already got me a couple of times just getting it home lol.
I would have liked the Mermaid rose, but unfortunately the only grower I could find cut their orders off on the 16th of this month. I asked in the Garden Centre but they didn't have it and I didn't ask the grumpy old bat that served me if she could order it as they get their roses from the same grower.
It must be my day for bad customer service lol, struck two of them in different shops !
Appreciated all the suggestions everyone.

gazza6, Oct 19, 10:50pm
Tasman Bay Roses has Albertine for $23.20 plus shipping. They sell high health roses and their prices compare well with other nurseries even allowing for freight costs.

nala2, Oct 20, 8:48am
Mermaid is not easy to obtain as it is not the easiest to propagate. I agree with what everybody has said about the thorns but would like to add something extra. The thorns are not the typical triangle shape but have a hook on the end, many times I have been caught and have not known which way to move without doing greater damage to myself. You could have a fence covered in "caught" children, they would only do it once.

hound31, Oct 20, 9:11am
Yes, thanks for that. They also seem to be the only nursery that sells Mermaid which is what I really want now. Unfortunately when I created an account I read that all their orders for this season closed on Friday the 16th grrr. I just missed out by a couple of days.
I did look at Albertine at the Garden Centre with the grumpy assistant, however I thought the thorns on the Pyracantha were better for the moment.
Tasman roses are very well priced, the Garden Centre's were $35 I think from memory.

hound31, Oct 20, 9:13am
Lol at that image. unfortunately I missed out on ordering Mermaid by a couple of days, and as you say, it's not easy to obtain.

nala2, Oct 21, 10:18am
Try ringing them anyway, roses take from 1 to more than 2 years before sale, usually at least 2 years. They may still be able to help you or let you know who has them.

brightlights60, Oct 21, 10:26am
Only trouble with roses are that they have a bit of maintenance and only grow in Summer. With Dunedin being so cold, you will get a shorter growing season. Pyracantha is fab, we had it in our first house with long drive and ferals on the other side. I remember my Dad having the same problems so its a generational thing! He ended up putting a small strip of barb wire just below the lip of the fence under the foliage, just at that hand hold place where little hands grip the top of the fence. Seemed to sort the problem out!

hound31, Oct 21, 6:36pm
I like his thinking lol. Yes I think I'll stick with the Pyracantha, I like the fact that it's evergreen. I forgot about my bare rose garden in winter.

amph981, Oct 26, 6:38pm
In Auckland I had a climbing rose Westfalen Park, lethal thorns but when I was a kid in UK we had a public path between our house and next house and teenagers used to sit on my mums hedge so she planted a blackberry in the hedge stopped the b--s sitting on it and it was just clipped with the hedge.

vomo2, Oct 26, 7:46pm
Just run an electric fence along the top. lol .

hound31, Oct 26, 9:12pm
Don't tempt me.

namtak, Oct 28, 5:15pm
I used tall growing cacti with with plenty of spines along with several types of Agave that have sharp hooked spines. It also helped that the ones I used were frost hardy, almost zero maintenance and flowers in summer to boot. Worked a treat.

articferrit, Oct 28, 9:19pm
A couple of Yuccas in pots would also act as a deterrent, barbed wire nailed along the top rail and a triangular shaped piece of wood nailed to the middle rail of a wooden fence would make it hard to climb as well.

hezwez, Oct 28, 10:02pm
I have a beautiful thorny yellow rose called Emily Gray. I've had people coming in the gate wanting cuttings. The only animal who can cope with the thorns appear to be nesting blackbirds.

morticia, Oct 30, 8:55pm
Alberic Barbier is definitely the one to go with. We have had it for decades.

trade4us2, Sep 14, 11:54am
Bush Lawyer?