Pruning a lemon tree

markv1, Apr 21, 4:10pm
Hi,
We have a lemon tree that is in a coastal area. The tree has dead branches on the top third of the tree but bottom two thirds look OK. Do you remove dead branches at top and is this the right time of year to do this? We are in the lower North Island west coast.

harm_less, Apr 21, 6:39pm
Chances are that the dead branches are the result of frost damage. Pruning now will help as the citrus borer usually only gains access through pruning cuts when they are active in spring/summer. Protect from frosts though especially if the pruning results in tender regrowth.

lakeview3, Apr 21, 6:44pm
Check for lemon tree borer.

Very common. Need to cut out diseased wood, treat.

https://www.kiwicare.co.nz/problem/citrus-tree-borer/

markv1, Apr 21, 7:17pm
Thanks for the replies

lakeview3, Apr 21, 7:18pm
Good luck. If it’s a goner, then start again with a new plant and plant in a different place. Meyer is a great lemon tree to plant. Very easy and juicy!

loukirby, Apr 21, 7:33pm
You are possibly in the same area as me. I have a few citrus, including a Tahitian lime that got badly frost burnt in the spring. I have recently trimmed the dead stuff off and it has burst into life. I frost protect mid May onwards. Spring frosts have been inconsistent since moving in 2016 hence why I got caught out last Spring. My other citrus weren’t affected, just the lime.

I check for borer from late Oct thru Jan.

joanie04, Apr 21, 7:48pm
I pruned my lemon tree last year. It had a lot of dead wood. I thought it was a goner but it has come back to life and plenty of fruit.

kateley, Apr 22, 7:48am
If you're in an area that has heavy frosts I would recommend not pruning it at this time of year as you may trigger lots of fresh tender growth that will be hard to protect from frost damage.
I would wait until frosts are over, then prune, fertilise and mulch.

harm_less, Apr 22, 3:25pm
Problem with spring pruning is that you will be advertising for borer due to the scent of the cut wood and convenient egg laying sites. Borer are inactive over winter so pruning now will be sealed by the time spring arrives. A matter of weighing up your risks - frost vs. borer.

tegretol, Apr 23, 10:53am
Cut the branches at 45 degrees and seal them with water-based paint.

kateley, Apr 23, 11:16am
I've never had a problem with borer - maybe there's none where I have lived, or maybe the oil spray I use after pruning stops the scent attracting them and/or seals the cuts

kateley, Jul 31, 11:15am
ps - don't use the oil spray on a sunny day as it can burn the leaves