Removing paint from tiles:

schnauzer11, Apr 9, 6:15am
We've lifted two layers of carpet in our 110 yr-old villa. New carpet to be laid soon. In one room we uncovered coloured, high-glazed tiles before what will be a hidden fireplace. Have similar in two other rooms and they're very attractive. Most tiles are pink, a few have beautiful art-nouveau designs. Some fool painted over them with a single layer of white paint, unsure what type, but matte finish. I've scraped it off some plain tiles, but the designs are too tricky. Is there a solvent I could use that won't damage the glaze? Would appreciate someone's wise advice.

lakeview3, Apr 9, 6:54am
How wonderful! I wouldn’t use anything too harsh or anything metal.

If you could use a plastic credit card to scratch the surface of the paint a little to make it more porous and then maybe try soaking a product like de Solv it over the paint. Leave for quite a few hours and then gently use the plastic credit card again to scrape paint off. (My thoughts would be that the de solve it might have softened the paint. It’s a citrus based ‘solvent’)

That’s really the only product i would be game to try. It’s very good and safe to use on clothing even and a multitude of other things.

articferrit, Apr 9, 9:28am
Ring Resene and ask them what they would suggest?

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 9, 11:40am
If it is only one coat, chances are it has formed a skin rather than adhered properly. I would try little a puddle of water where you have scraped. Left for a while it might just slip in between the glaze and the skin and make it easy to lift with a plastic scrubber. If the tiles were at all porous I wouldn't try it, but highly glazed it should be safe enough.

It works with paint on glass, so fingers crossed!

schnauzer11, Apr 9, 8:41pm
Thanks, people. There's a Resene shop around the corner so I'll pop in there tomorrow with a sample of the scraped paint. Might wat an area overnight though, hunni.

lakeview3, Apr 10, 10:05am
let us know how you get on

schnauzer11, Apr 10, 11:11am
Will do!

morrisjvan, Apr 10, 10:31pm
paint stripper , it wont harm the tiles, they are bullet-proof.

sanders4, Apr 13, 8:31pm
there are some good paint strippers advertised on Trademe, most are brush on, rinse off type.

schnauzer11, Apr 13, 8:51pm
Thank you. This is my most recent advice, am getting some tomorrow!

woody89, Apr 13, 9:27pm
Acetone? It's quite good at removing paint. If the tiles are glazed, should be fine- no worse than paint stripper & easier to use.

jsimons12, Apr 14, 9:23am
Isopropyl is safe & will take of the thick paint (it won't damage the tiles if the tiles have been glazed properly. Try it on the top layers of white paint first as a test & then, if you don't want to do too much /can't see the glaze condition - just use the isopropyl (from a Chemist) to do the first layer & use some vinegar/water & then finally rub with olive oil on the underneath layer.
You'll need to rub all ingredients in circles, with a soft non-coloured cloth.
You must wipe/rinse off the isopropyl before using vinegar to avoid a chemical vapour reaction.
Then rinse again before below.

As a last resort, you can use a paint stripper (from Mitre 10 that is solvent smell free). & not worry about the under condition. Then redo the top of the tile with floor epoxy & your own finish, if the stripper damages the tiles.

budgel, Apr 14, 10:08am
On aluminium joinery I've used brake fluid to soak paint, which then becomes easy to remove with a scotchbrite pad or similar. I think it would work on tiles.
I happened to have some brake fluid leftovers from changing it in my vehicles.

schnauzer11, Apr 14, 1:28pm
Indeed there is kitty, and, considering when the tiles were likely painted, the perpetrator has had time to make the trip!

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 14, 4:27pm
I dunno people. Some tiles need painting over asap.

schnauzer11, Apr 21, 10:24am
Well, I got that paint-stripper and it's done an excellent job! No damage done to the finish at all. The tiled area will look fab with the new carpet laid. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

tegretol, Apr 23, 11:01am
Agree. But you may find that whoever painted them may have roughed the surface up first in which case forget it.

woody89, Jul 31, 2:59am
Would love to see the finished result!