How to deter birds from newly laid lawn

lindyjack, Mar 20, 3:51pm
Had our lawn sprayed, top dressed and hydro seeded around 3 - 4 weeks ago. The birds are now making a total mess of the new lawn that is up. Not eating seed but digging holes and pulling up new lawn. We have tried holographic tape, bird netting (but to large an area to do the lot) and they just move elsewhere. Any other suggestions please as this has cost a lot of money and very disheartening and frustrating.

lakeview3, Mar 20, 3:55pm
Chicken wire.

zak410, Mar 20, 3:55pm
I used small manuka branches, did the trick.

lindyjack, Mar 20, 3:57pm
To big an area and like the bird netting just move elsewhere unless we cover the whole area

lakeview3, Mar 20, 4:05pm
well you could try balloons, but they might pop, believe me I have tried everything else, so much so I call it bird seed no grass seed lol. The best thing to stop the dust baths etc is to keep it damp.

lindyjack, Mar 20, 4:13pm
We had irrigation installed when lawn was done so it is not dust baths as irrigation is keeping it damp/wet and as I say they are digging holes it is not just on the top.

starseeker, Mar 20, 7:22pm
If the area is not too big, a good bird scarer is to set out sticks with thread attached to them. On the threads use strips of silver foil. I cut strips about 2 feet long & folded one end over the thread several times & let the rest dangle free. The birds hated it as the slightest breeze would set the strips moving. The threads don't have to be very close together.
Or maybe make a scarecrow.

trade4us2, Mar 20, 9:57pm
Nylon fishing line is cheap. Stretch lines over the area on pegs.
I have done this along the ridges of my roof to stop the pigeons making a mess on my roof.

graemer1, Mar 21, 12:37pm
I bought a pack of 6 mirrored balls from the $2 shop used for Xmas decorations. When they spin little rays of light go everywhere. Spooks the birds and frankly nauseates me if I’m walking around. Of course, only work in daytime and when the sun is shining.
But I’ve found that once the birds get spooked by the mirror balls they just don’t come back when the sun ain’t shining

fatdat, Mar 28, 6:15am
Cat tied to a stake.

hesian, Aug 7, 1:01pm
What birds? Centre of Tauranga they are all disappearing. And out at rural Ohauiti, I remarked to my husband that Tauranga was like Beijing in 1981 when the first thing I noticed in journey from airport was a complete and utter lack of birds.
Already good tips for the plant lovers here though. I do understand about seed and the nuisance of losing lawn.