Oily spot on Gib

gyrogearloose, Jun 17, 4:55pm
I'm repainting a house that's about 12 years old and there's a spot about the size of my palm where the original paint was sticky, so I tried sugar soap, a degreaser, more sugar soap, sandpaper, and then scraped the paint off. The spot is brown and smells like an oil, not quite like fresh diesel, and other areas of exposed gib don't have this smell. (it's an internal wall, I've looked in the roof cavity and can't see anything odd). My thought is that this spot of gib was contaminated in transit and the builder still used it. Any other thoughts?

My question is, I've exposed the spot, given it a sand and the gib feels dry, but I can smell it and see it. Will I get away with a few applications of gib filler, then a few coats of Zinser primer and 3 coats of paint?

Or, should I cut the spot out and patch with new gib, or replace the sheet?

harm_less, Jun 17, 5:05pm
Body oils from a dead critter on the other side of the gib? Or the builder's boy left his KFC leftovers there?

macman26, Jun 17, 5:07pm
Either paint over with an oil based paint / undercoat or cut out and replace.

jkp58, Jun 17, 5:21pm
Sounds like a leak from one of those auto sprays for flies. Only solution is to cut then area out . If you are lucky enough it may be on a patch of plaster
you then could just gouge out the effected area re plaster and paint.
Bunnings sell small bits of gib for about $6

bitsy_boffin, Jun 17, 5:36pm
Since you've gone 90% of the way you might as well spend the extra 30 minutes to do the job right, cut out and replace that bit.

blueviking, Jun 18, 5:55am
So whereabouts on the wall is this spot?

gyrogearloose, Jun 18, 12:37pm
It's about a foot down from the roof, near an edge. There's nothing on the wall around the corner.

I'm thinking it must be a dead animal, I'm going to cut the spot out. Thanks everyone.

zak410, Jun 18, 2:11pm
I think #4 is right, those auto flyspray gadget do leave oily marks. Get a small pot of pigmented sealer and give a couple of coats of that before painting.
Zinsser White Cover Stain Primer Sealer Stain Blocker, is a good one for that.

gyrogearloose, Jun 18, 4:24pm
Do those flyspray gadgets attach with a suction cup or a nail? Because I can't find a nail hole.

Might try to find one at the supermarket or hardware store to see what it smells like, but it could be possible, the location of the spot is central in the house.

brantome, Jun 21, 10:44pm
Had the same problem - oily patch on ceiling. Did the sanding, scraping then Zinsser bit to no avail. Had it cut out, replaced, good as new

don735, Jul 16, 12:12pm
this posters is on to it get this proplem if spray is on top of wall unit and fly sprays hits the ceiling dig it out fill with cornice adhesive then finishing compound seal with zinner or pigment sealer