New Kitchen and Laundry WWYD

Page 1 / 3
molly37, Mar 15, 6:56pm
We are currently designing a new kitchen and laundry. What if anything did you wish you had included in a new kitchen/laundry or wish you had in your current. FYI no laundry sink - we never use one and there is a bathroom vanity also in the space (its a large room). Hoping to finalise plans soon, but dont want to miss something that was staring me in the face.

lakeview3, Mar 15, 7:04pm
No insinkerator, hate them.

Also a cupboard on the other side of the island so you can access the deep dark corner that occurs from the cupboard on the opposite side when you have an L shaped island.

Glass splash back, easier to clean.

Don’t like marble tops, so unforgiving. Prefer wood first or Formica/meltecca.

articferrit, Mar 15, 7:19pm
Drawers in the kitchen instead of cupboards, its so much easier to get stuff in and out, and clean, and nothing gets buried or lost in the back of the cupboard ever again, a light in the pantry cupboard, drawers in the kickboards for oven trays etc, even if you dont think you will use them - you will.

starseeker, Mar 15, 7:19pm
Consider placement of space for microwave; I have seen some set so high that they are a danger to a short person or child having to reach up to get food out. Risk of scalding hot contents raining down on person

budgel, Mar 15, 7:30pm
Agreed, Pot drawers instead of cupboards are so much better!

alston, Mar 15, 7:45pm
Drawers are a must! Place for the microwave that is easy and safe to reach.

karmae, Mar 15, 8:11pm
A cupboard for ironing board and iron and buckets.
Somewhere to hang a few items of wet handwashing to dry in case of bad weather. A place to put yr wet raincoat and umbrella I have to hang mine in shower as no separate laundry. Place to store small kitchen ladder to reach high things. Saw one kitchen they had it slide under kicking board (toe space). Dont have Fridge open into main space u use to walk into kitchen.
Have some flat bench space near hobs/ oven (heavy things u dont want to turn around and walk across kitchen) There so many things I would like!
And an on call chef

lakeview3, Mar 15, 8:19pm
another one for pot drawers here.

Also don’t make the kitchen utensils draw too deep. What a nightmare! 😂

lakeview3, Mar 15, 8:20pm
Oh and make sure you have somewhere to put hot saucepans. I only have a small stainless steel bit by my sink. I guess that’s where marble/stone is an advantage

molly37, Mar 15, 8:39pm
Great tips! Seems I've covered most things. not doing horrible corners. lots of drawers instead. Never thought about the depth of utensil drawer. Would love tiles. but cleaning grouting is awful behind hob, might put in laundry instead. Wanted an ironing drawer but chose instead to have a cool drawer for drinks, so no space as have front loader and integrated hamper also.

lakeview3, Mar 15, 8:42pm
I have had to tie bright pink ribbon onto the pizza cutter just so I can find it in that blardy drawer! And you have NO IDEA how long it takes me to find a slotted spoon!

hammer23, Mar 16, 12:22am
must have is an under bech boiling unit to produce instant boing water. Throw out the jug and fit one of these,you won't regret it.

wine-o-clock, Mar 16, 6:02am
i would include the laundry sink

kateley, Mar 16, 6:58am
I also would include the laundry sink - I use mine a lot to wash things I don't want in the kitchen sink , like dog bowls, rubbish bins, plant pots, grubby boots. Also think of future owners who may have nappies etc.
I would love a pullout rubbish/recycling bin
and make sure you have plenty of bench room with electrical sockets for microwave, coffee machine, mixer, slow cooker, electric frypan etc.

articferrit, Mar 16, 7:49am
If you have an island put a row of power points on it, very useful for phone charging, vacuum cleaner and appliances.

lythande1, Mar 16, 8:29am
I would have stainless steel, yes it's old school and you don't see them now but they were great. Bugger formica etc. they stain.

toyboy3, Mar 16, 10:52am
In the laundry mount the front loader washing machine on a bench and build drawers underneath

mrfxit, Mar 16, 12:45pm
Pro's & cons

Formica . >>
Easy on knives
Mostly easy to get stains out of it (Soapy steelo pad)
Prone to deep scratches
Prone to blistering from hot pans
Backboard turn up corner edge prone to cracking from heavy pot/pans being pushed back.
Cheap
Easy to fit taps/insert sinks etc
Light weight
Cracks etc let water underneath & it will swell up.

Marble/stone etc. >>>
Custom made one off to suit the bench
Very hard wearing
Hard on knives etc
Easy to break glass's etc
IF you do crack it, it's stuffed (no easy or tidy way to repair)
Heavy to install & hard to fit taps/ insert sinks etc
Very heavy

Stainless Steel. >>>
Premade to fit including insert sink
Scratch easy but fairly easy to fix.
Minor scratches just polish out with a Soapy Steelo Pad
Can't crack it
If you did bend it, it can be fixed fairly easy most times.
Can't burn it, immune to hot pots etc
Not hard on knives but not easy on them either
Easy to make shiny
Light weight

mrfxit, Mar 16, 12:48pm
Laundry tub. YES
You can always get a lid made for it & use it as a benchtop

marte, Mar 16, 2:14pm
Lift the dishwasher off the ground or you have to reach past knee level to unload it. Could put a draw under it but it also might be suseptable to getting water overflow into it. ( Though that would just end up on the floor if it wasn't there anyway )
Someone i know, he's a carpenter & quite short, in a tall house, put a solid cover on these bottom draws so they could be pulled out & used as a foot stool to stand O: to access the higher cupboards. The draw had wheels on its underside to take the weight.

2 dishwashers. If there's space It's been a 'thing' to have two dishwashers & that way one gets used as storage for recently cleaned stuff, while the other is for dirty dishes. Once the dirty dishes washer is full, you just close it, hit the 'GO' button & swap the magnet, like a dedicated fridge magnet with something about/on it to indicate that it's the 'dirty dishes' dishwasher, over to the other dishwasher.
Also maybe get another knife/utensil basket for the dishwasher, so once the dishes are done & dry, you can just pull out the basket & put the empty one in & have the full basket accessible on the bench etc, to take utensils from.

harm_less, Mar 16, 2:28pm
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/kaboodle-2-tier-corner-rotating-baskets_p2667709
We have one of these carousels which was in the kitchen from the previous owner. Didn't like the idea originally but it actually works very well to make full use of a deep corner cupboard. Full of pots and mixing bowls at our place.

shanreagh, Mar 16, 3:04pm
Agree with this. i would remove the vanity unit that OP says is in the space.

I have been to two kitchens recently where they have scullery type arrangements with the laundry in there, hidden from view a little, and proper benches with a double sink unit, one with a deep sink that is good for the laundry and also for washing big things like the roasting dishes. One had a draining area that you could hang clothes above.

crazynana, Mar 16, 3:13pm
We have a pullout double rubbish bin under the bench right by the sink. It is great as you just wash the veges etc in the sink chop on the board and scrape the scraps straight into the vege/green bin. I have one for vege scraps and the other for "red bin" rubbish. It only takes up the top half of the cupboard so you can store other things underneath. Also make note of which way your fridge door opens (right or left) when placing it in the kitchen. Ours is plumbed in and has water dispenser on the front so this cannot be changed. I would prefer it to open the other way but can't be changed. I would also have a sink in the laundry and as someone else said , put a top on it and use as a bench. It is surprising how much you use it though and it would be good for resale.

strathview, Mar 16, 7:19pm
I would throw out my dishwasher as we never use it and replace with drawers for storage. Absolutely hate our range hood. It is one of those stainless steel and glass ones. Just collects dust and really noisy to use. Wanting to replace it with an inbuilt one like I had at my old house. Love my large stainless steel sink and bench in my kitchen. Laundry can't do without my laundry sink and I have a bench running the length of the laundry. Washing machine underbench with dryer. Also have a place in my laundry for wet clothes to hang along with coats. Have cupboards and also a broom cupboard that fits my ironing board. Got my extra chest freezer in my laundry too.

shanreagh, Mar 16, 8:22pm
Your laundry sounds perfect!