Appliances for new kitchen

Page 1 / 2
germainium, May 14, 3:26am
We're getting a new kitchen installed and I'm just looking for advice on appliances. Fridge is sorted but we need a 900mm electric oven with either a ceramic or induction stove top and a dishwasher. The booklet we've been given is for Parmco appliances. What brands have people had experience with that don't cost the earth but are reliable and durable? TIA!

russ18, May 14, 3:42am
For cooktop I would go for induction or gas, good idea to talk to sparky before commiting to induction.

germainium, May 14, 3:52am
We've got a parmco gas oven/cooktop that was given to us but my partner isn't interested in installing gas.

jacqui248, May 14, 4:03am
we put a kitchen in last year and got an induction stove top and OMG its soo awesome. i do not like gas. and i cannot imagine going back to normal electric now. and i didnt have to buy new pots either

jacqui248, May 14, 4:06am
also when i put in my kitchen i put in an EISNO oven, it was VERY cheap andd there service has been 2nd to none. i had a problem with the tray not fitting in the oven properly, so they replaced the whole oven and gave me the next model up for the hassle.

jacqui248, May 14, 4:07am
my dishwasher is parmco. i dont really rate it

jacqui248, May 14, 4:08am
http://homekit.co.nz/index.php?route=product/search&search=eisno this is where i bught my oven and they have 20% off at mo.

jacqui248, May 14, 4:09am
are you buying an in wall oven and seperate cooktop? or an all in one freestanding?

germainium, May 14, 4:10am
Freestanding 900mm with cooktop

cagivachick1, May 14, 9:22am
have a 1 year old parmco gas hob and wall oven in a rental, both failed, they were fixed by parmco under warranty, wouldnt buy another. have bosche appliances in my own home and am happy with them, our 13 year old bosche dishwasher died a few months ago, first trouble it had given, replaced it with a new one

_atomant_, May 14, 10:23am
Sparky here, avoid parmco like the plague, I have recently been dealing with them directly for a part for one of their ovens and 3 times they sent the incorrect oven thermostat to me resulting in the oven being far hotter than the dial indicated, then they admitted they don't make that part anymore and told me to fit a Fisher and Paykal one. That didn't fit and now they don't even return my calls.

germainium, May 14, 9:53pm
Ok, thanks for that

germainium, May 14, 9:54pm
Ha! Cheers, good to know! No parmco then!

germainium, May 14, 9:58pm
Anyone had any experience with Westinghouse or award? I had a good hunt online yesterday for 900mm freestanding ovens with ceramic cooktops (I would love induction but I think they're going to work out much too expensive) and there were not many choices but award and Westinghouse seemed to be the most fairly priced. Any opinions on those brands?

missymoo1000, May 15, 3:06am
fitted Parmco in our last build and 5 years later all the appliances looked like they were 20 years old. They worked OK, although the dishwasher was so noisy you couldnt hear the TV over the noise of it (even at full volume!) and the gas hob would make a whistling noise when on which was annoying. We are just finishing our new place and have gone with Smeg after my parents putting this brend in 15 years ago and they are still going strong.

cantabman1, May 15, 4:07am
I suggest that you look toward the better European brands on the market, such as Smeg,Milie, , Bosch, A>E>G etc. They will give you years of trouble free quiet use.

midnight42, May 15, 4:25am
I have a Westinghouse double oven,Bosch dishwasher and front loader washer,all good but if putting in a new house would go Bosch

mark_g, May 15, 4:32am
It's all a lottery!

When doing my kitchen I spent lot of time researching appliances and for the dishwasher came away with a choice between bosch and asko. It seemed that universally, at the time (3-4 yrs ago), bosch and asko were 'it'.

I went for the asko because there was a deal going and so the asko that was comparable to the bosch in my mid-upper price range was cheaper.

The asko has been good (3 yrs now), but I still had to get a service call and went without the dishwasher for a bloody fortnight because of a stupid design issue that had the outlet hose rubbing on the chassis and so the inevitable leak occurred. An unbelievable stupid moronic design issue - and a "top of the line" appliance was kumate for a fortnight while waiting for a replacement outlet hose.

Even then, when the hose arrived and the service man turned up to install it, I had to suggest to him that maybe he could wrap copious quantities of tape around it where it passed through the outer case to delay the same issue reoccurring. Hence my comment about the lottery.

brightlights60, May 15, 5:21am
Mrs B here. Did our kitchen 16 odd years ago, and believe me, buy the best (which sometimes means expensive) appliances you can. We went on the advice of our electrical supplier (hubby is a sparky) and I so wish we had bought European appliances as in our previous houses. Up to repainting the kitchen at the moment, and will save up for some smart new appliances.

cagivachick1, May 15, 6:27am
our new bosche dishwasher is so quiet you have to check that its going

germainium, May 15, 7:09am
Thanks guys, all great advice and food for thought

intheoneone, May 16, 1:47am
Bosch, very good, but just be careful as some of the newer Bosch appliances coming onto the market are made in China and the quality may not be as good. Westinghouse dishwasher I have did not cost the earth and it is the best I have ever used. Good luck!

russ18, May 16, 2:30am
One thing I really like is our canopy with remote motor, it's so quiet.

aphra1, May 16, 3:36am
Interesting that your Asko "failed'' I have an Asko dishwasher and I can't fault it. Still going strong after about 10 years, I would install asko again. Prior to this I'd had 3 Fisher and Paykel midrange and I wouldn't buy them again now I know what a really top machine is like.

mojo49, May 16, 4:47am
We recently redid our kitchen. Got Bosch dishwashwer and oven - electric with gas hobs. Bosch rangehood. Panasonic microwave, Westinghouse fridge/freezer. very happy with all of them. All from Harvey Normans. We did a lot of looking at the various makes and models in-store before settling on those. Also a lot of reading brochures and some stuff online. It takes a while but we are very happy with our selections. It is all a matter of individual preferences and your budget.