Appliances for new kitchen

Page 2 / 2
mark_g, May 16, 6:37am
The Asko has been good other than that one failure. But I was really disappointed because the failure was so stupid. A flexible drain hose rubbing on the hole in the case it passed through. Just the smallest bit of forethought and almost any cheap protective measure would have avoided the failure completely.

On the plus side. the drain water leaked into the pan which is designed to catch and contain leaks, and the sensor designed to detect water in the pan worked, the machine ceased to work and told me it was because there was water in the pan.

mark_g, May 16, 7:16am
Whilst here, and on the subject of European appliances.

Our Electrolux fridge created pools of water on the floor after 9 months and had it's door replaced. A stupid design problem had their full height fridge door not strong enough (despite weighing a ton) to keep itself straight, and so it bent in the middle where we pull on the handle to open it. Hence lack of seal, hence motor working overtime, hence puddles of water. Door was replaced under warranty.

Our Electrolux double cavity oven has had a couple of issues:
The controller blew up after 5 minutes of operation and was replaced under warranty. The replacement, now 3 years old has also blown up and been replaced.
Also a stupid design error saw the door hinges under strength and mounted to under strength metal of the casing. So after about a year of use the doors no longer closed, leaving a considerable gap. Service man uses a universal bending tool to straighten the steel that the hinge is tacked to and the doors are good - for 3 months, even after being very careful with them. I saw a more recent update of the same model and it has beefier hinges which I hope are tacked to something solid.
And now a fault with the digital display failing when it feels like it. It's fun playing "guess what temp and setting the oven is on?"

When it goes well though, this oven with old fashioned full size cavities is just the best thing ever if you cook or entertain a lot.

Our De Longhi range hood (3 yrs old) has just had it's controller blow up (Capacitors). Replacement part out of Aussie, cost a bomb, 1-2 wk delivery. Purchased same part on internet from an aussie warehouse for 2/3 the NZ price and was on my doorstep in 4 days. I hope it lasts a while.

All were mid-to-upper end price range appliances except the range hood which was a compromise (only had so much to spend). At purchase I elected not to go for the extended warranty. They were modern upper end appliances. What could go wrong?

germainium, May 16, 9:43am
Bosch don't appear to make a 900mm oven with a ceramic stove top, however Westinghouse do. Starting to look like Westinghouse for the oven at least.

kernal1, May 29, 12:25pm
Sorry to be different but I brought a Parmco last July and delighted with it! Cheaper plus 5 yr guarantee decided me. Ceramic top, after checking round retails outfits locally, plus researching, brought online. Free freight too! Each to their own I know. 2 Friends with Westinghouse free standing ranges have had a heap of trouble but family in new house have fitted Boosh appliances and over the moon. Guess budget is a consideration too! Good luck!

jonners2013, May 29, 11:59pm
Don't be put off by a made in China tag. Everything is made in China.

By all means go for a well respected brand name but don't for a second be lulled into the belief that because it's a European company that their products are made in some fanciful factory in Germany staffed by professors. The country of origin is not what's important.

lissie, May 30, 3:54am
Don't do Parmco - we bought a built-in oven from them for a rental where we re-did the kitchen - the Placemaker cabinetery is fantastic (about 8 years now) - but the oven failed after 4 - well it stopped heating and they don't do parts. Cost us $900 for a new oven and more than that for instalation.

When I get my new ktichen I'll be double dishdrawers - best dishwasher I ever had (2 houses ago) - and they were still working well after 10 years when we sold that place. They are super quiet because not lined with metal - and so much more efficient - and you don't need as many cabinets - because one i drawer is the clean drawer and the other one the dirty drawer.

I had smeg dishwasher and gas hob and oven in my last place. They were all just OK and will probably only last a few more years (they are 10 years old now). At least with a standalone cooker you can quite easily replace it - one reason I'd never build an oven in again

kacy5, May 30, 5:36am
I have had my double ovens and dishwasher for 9 years and although they haven't been used much over the past two years since DH passed away, I have been very pleased with them and they were worth the money to me. A large discount helped me choose them in the first place.

john7891, Dec 28, 10:01am
Have got a Parmco induction hob about 5 years ago and all good so far.

As stated above I'd look closely at where the appliance is made - seems a good indication of quality.