Do Camelia flowers kill weeds?

trade4us2, Sep 21, 1:32pm
I've been putting dead Camellia flowers on my garden, and they seem to stop weeds growing.
But the ends of the leaves of my Belladonna Lilys are going brown. I have taken one bulb out completely as it appeared to have died. Are they being affected by the Camellias, or do they have some disease, or is my neighbour spraying my garden with weedkiller again?
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/873535673.jpg

axelvonduisberg, Sep 21, 2:36pm
Belleadonna Lillies are exceedingly toxic to children, but Camelia are rated as safe, but can cause problems in quantity.

As far as a neighbour spraying, if you are down wind there is always a possiblity of wind drift.

calista, Sep 21, 5:21pm
The cat that lives over the back picks up the dead camellia flowers from the lawn and takes them around the back. The vet nurse I consulted said they weren't harmful to cats. I do notice the garden under the camellias doesn't thrive.

ianab, Sep 21, 5:51pm
They are pretty heavy, especially when damp, so they probably act as a mulch or weed mat, and could physically smother a lot of weeds.

The moisture they hold in the soil could be affecting the lilies too, damp / fungus / rot etc.

pauldw, Sep 21, 11:54pm
If your dead camellia flowers had blossom rot ie brown spots you should dump any dropped flowers rather than compost them as the rot will persist.