Red onions.. My red onions have done very well this yeari need to harvest them as the weeds in between have taken overi dont kno

frank398, Jan 5, 7:42am
My red onions have done very well this year.I need to harvest them as the weeds in between have taken over.I dont know what i do wrong,but every year they rot on me in storage.I have them with plenty of air round them.Can any one give me any advise,on how to keep them longer than a month after digging.

peteyboo1, Jan 5, 7:46am
try drying them outside in the air and keep rain offthem. dont store them in a tin garden shed. they are not the best keepers in the world

junie2, Jan 5, 8:53am
Last year I just left them in my galss/plastic house which has plenty of ventilation. Spread them out a bit but didn't hang them, and they kept for months. I have a good crop now too - but not quite ready fr harvesting. They quite good aren't they! - nice to have our own while they're more than $5 kg in the shops.

dagon1, Jan 6, 12:07am
i tried last year growing these as i too love them :) but nothing was in the ground lol.nice and big on top green etc but when i thought it was time to harvest there was no onions ! im not sure what went wrong

macandrosie, Jan 7, 12:45am
Sometimes if they get too much rain it can get into the outer layer & will cause them to rot. Also as peteyboo1 suggested, dry them before storing, on a sunny sheltered place on concrete is good- for 3-4 days. You have to remember they don't keep like the Pukekohe Keeper variety though.

macandrosie, Jan 7, 12:46am
Better to stagger several crops of them over the summer as use what you can, keeping the late ones till later on.

frank398, Jan 20, 8:06am
Thanku for your replys.Would i be better of leaving them in the ground.I cant win,when i leave them longer they go to seed.