Controling weeds in space between hedge and fence?

sooby, Jan 2, 5:10am
Howdy all, could do with some advise please.

We have a 8m long hedge and the 600mm or so between it and the fence running parallel with it is bare dirt.This is quite hard to access and remove the bidi bidi, thistle etc that accumulates this time of year, anyone have ideas on how to control the weeds!Would have thought weed-mat would just gather weeds on top and not help the hedge much.

Appreciate any ideas as I'm stumped!

Cheers :)

maclad, Jan 2, 5:18am
Would a push hoe help. By disturbing the roots and hopefully cutting them off it should help slow down growth but will need doing weekly or fortnightly and as your hedge grows weed growth should lessen.

sooby, Jan 2, 5:44am
Sorry, should have mentioned hedge is about 20 years old, bout 1m thick and maybe 4m high!

The hoe sounds like a great idea, would a torpedo hoe work!

Thanks

stevee6, Jan 2, 6:08am
What I've found works well with hedges is to clear the weeds, then cover the soil with multilayered newspaper(preferably wet) then a thick layer of chipped bark. It keeps the moisture in which the hedge appreciates, but blocks weed growth. Just replace the chipped bark every 3/4 years.

sooby, Jan 2, 6:10am
Hmm worth a shot, thanks

liggy2, Jan 2, 8:02am
Roundup will do the trick and a more permanent fix.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 2, 10:16am
Personally, and depending on the hedge type, I would do a very careful roundup spray to rid the weeds being very careful not to get any on any foliage of the hedge.Then I would add a thick layer of mulch, either compost, or bark, or whatever suits your garden.

guest, Oct 10, 8:09pm
OH MY GOSH!!!Patty, this is absolutely amnzaig! Seriously! I only have one foot inside and I am stunned at the beauty of your photographs hanging on these new walls. Way to go, girlfriend! Your hard work has most certainly paid off! (I love this WordPress neighborhood pretty please help me build a house someday here, too!) XOXO

guest, May 28, 4:04pm
We have not used this one and we just pluck the annoying weeds or weed whack them. hheehe We use a homemade kind without the harsh chemicals. Just something we can find in out kitchen.