No flowers on my strawberries.

mustu, Dec 13, 9:15am
I keep them watered and mulched but only one strawberry plant is flowering out of the 14 I have planted. I add a sprinkle of strawberry food around the plant and water it in about every two weeks. I water with weak seaweed solution every week. The leaves look healthy and the plants are a good size so why are there no flowers?

wenpen, Dec 13, 9:23am
Maybe the plants are just to young and will produce a flower next season.

annies3, Dec 13, 6:40pm
Yes must be immature plants, do you remove the runners ?

cantabman1, Dec 13, 7:20pm
Tray adding a little sulphate of potash; this will incourage flowering.
I also use a product throughout my garden called Seasol. Best you google it to see all that it does, but I highly recommend it to all gardeners.
Available on special at Bunnings.

gabbysnana, Dec 13, 7:58pm
If you planted new this year they are late flowering, the old plants have produced heavy and early this year. How ever the new plants fruit although low in quantity are huge. Nitrogen produces too much leaf and not enough fruit.

mustu, Dec 14, 3:40am
Yes I already use Seasol on them. That's why I am disappointed to have almost no flowers. Will try some potash. They were mainly runners so yes, this would be the first year for most of them. But still. was expected at least a few fruit!

cantabman1, Dec 14, 9:18pm
You will find with new plants that all your fruit will come in late summer.
keep the first runner from each plant to regrow, but remove the rest so that the plant can put it's energy into growing and fruiting.
Divide them up in early spring next year, and remove all the old and dead leaves; before long you will have heaps of plants. Oh, also, it helps to grow them in black polithene to attract more heat for the roots, and water water water as they really drink it up.

mustu, Dec 15, 9:20pm
Thank you cantabman1

samanya, Jul 6, 12:18am
My established plants usually start off slowly with flowers(fruit) & then gradually build up to producing a lot. Good luck.