Flavourless strawberries

haverstock1, Dec 12, 6:57am
Anyone out there with recommendations for strawberries that have some flavour in them!I bought Elsanta {!} and they are lovely to look at but hard as bullets and no flavour.

mark_g, Dec 12, 7:04am
Maybe there are varieties out there that deliver good flavour early in the season, I don't know. I know that three varieties that I have grown are all fairly tasteless early in the season. It's only later when the plants start really producing that mine get both bigger and tastier. Mine are only just starting to get good now.

piquant, Dec 12, 7:41am
My pick is you can't go past Cama Rosa. Beautiful flavour, good size. Strawberries need good amounts of water up to them and regular feeding and sunshine.

wendalls, Dec 12, 7:59am
Yep my kids are raving about my camarosas. they are sooooo sweet. The bought ones are just no good now. wish i had bought more plants!

davebeardorper, Dec 12, 8:10am
sprinkle potash around the base of the plants and this will sweeten up the fruit.

haverstock1, Dec 12, 7:27pm
Thanks everyone, perhaps it's a bit early in the season for mine.However plan to move them to a sunnier spot in the garden and use that potash for next year.

steptoesnr, Dec 12, 11:00pm
If you wait til next year to give them some extra potash you will have to wait til next year as well for sweeter strawberries.

urbanrefugee54, Dec 21, 8:34am
red gauntlet is another to avoid - it's grown by commercial growers for looks - no flavour, or smell.

tigra, Dec 21, 7:49pm
I'm getting heaps, big and red. They are 3 years old and I am sure they are Gauntlet, but I have to admit while being quite juicy they are not as sweet as last year. Also losing a few to rot. I suspect this year I have too much foliage so not enough sun getting to the fruit and causing rotting

ricp, Dec 21, 9:15pm
Chandler is tops for taste in my opinion, with camarosa close second. I grow a mix of chander and El camino (which isn't as sweet but autumn crops well) . We have fresh strawberries from late August until June!

ricp, Dec 21, 9:16pm
If they get lots of water and no sun they'll be tasteless as well. If they are kept dryer the berries will be smaller and sweeter

cantabman1, Dec 23, 4:08am
A little Dolomite lime will help to sweeten your strawberrys too.

kcc55a, Dec 23, 8:49am
So are you saying, in reply to tigra, that maybe the foliage needs to be thinned out!

rav413, Dec 26, 6:15am
Oh - I bought these from nursery as they were given such a good write up.Needless to say they are tasteless.Thought it was my fault.

urbanrefugee54, Dec 27, 5:26am
from what I was told - they are hardy & produce a good looking strawberry.

the-lada-dude, Dec 31, 11:17am
I found icing sugar to be the best.lol