Growing strawberries in vertical planter

dibble35, Mar 6, 6:39am
I'm going to grow my strawberries in a large vertical type planter this next summer, to save room in my small vege garden, how would/do you do it! I'm just after ideas at this stage, want to get onto this this autumn. At this stage i've priced up large pipe to stand maybe 1-1.5m high. .30cm round. it's quite expensive. I have a hot water cylinder outer i'm thinking of using, pot riveting it back together and cutting holes in the sides. TIA

southerngurl, Mar 6, 6:49am
I got a vertical planter off a guy who makes them in dunedin this last season. I filled the centre with rolled newspaper and then filled it with TUI strawberry mix, it had 6 entry holes i put a plant in each. Then fed the whole planter with liquid fertiliser every few weeks and rootblast once a month. Got a huge bumper crop off them.

dibble35, Mar 6, 6:53am
Sounds good but i'm thinking along the lines of 50+ plants, i've got maybe 25 at the moment and after dividing/runners I should get heaps. I like the idea of the rolled newspaper in the middle. save on potting mix/compost, and the liquid fert. I think crystal rain would be a good idea to.

wendalls, Mar 6, 7:39am
i saw somewhere how someone recycled a wooden pallet. pulled off a few planks and repositiond them so as to hav a couple of rows on it when stood on its side. you might need a few and somewhere to attach them.

simcheck, Mar 7, 6:42am

johnhb, Mar 7, 7:36am
I saw one somewhere that had plastic litre milk bottles cut in half and spaced up a wall for planting in. Looked like it would work! I think it's a brilliant idea and will try it myself soon I think.

..pip.., Mar 8, 7:35pm
OMG that is cool!

lemming2, Mar 8, 8:00pm
That is stunning! I had a vertical planter this year: started out hopeful but hopelessly dry, and faded out after Christmas, alas. It's always the watering - but with the old spouting you could rig a decent watering and feeding system hydroponics-style . Hmmm.

ry5, Mar 8, 9:12pm
Yes, I think with this method, you'd get more bang for your buck.The vertical planters use a lot of soil for only a few plants.I imagine you'd have to keep on top of the watering though using this system.I noted in the photo they were elevated - not sure why.

dibble35, Mar 9, 1:53am
Elevated. easier to pick(commercial setup) and helps keep the birds from eating them, pretty sure thats a hydroponic system. looks impressive though. I've got a hot water cylinder outer, got to cut holes in it yet, got lots of compost, some crystal rain, fert, i'm gonna put old paint buckets or someting down the middle just to make it less soil used. And then ZI just have to find somewhere to put it, and set up some irrigation drippers. Will free upmore ofmy vege garden, yay

malone4, Mar 13, 7:44am
yip thats the best way for space saving alright.
I grew mine along the top of my boundary fence in spouting when I was in the city with limited land mass many moons ago. its essential to have gravel on the bottom of your spouting and have at least a 5ml drop on one end to prevent water. Strawberries are surface growers so lots of soil isnt necessary.

rusticedge, Mar 18, 7:06am
how deep does the soil need to be for strawberries

brapbrappy, Mar 18, 8:15am
I wouldnt use soil - have alook at some of the growing media used by hyrdroponics growers. Silica based media like vermiculite holds more wter and not as heavy as soil.

dibble35, Apr 23, 5:05pm
A lot of hydroponics use a product like Oasis but not sure what the proper name is for hydrponic stuff. soil will just get to wet, heavy,