Wooden planter boxes - how to use

kitty179, Mar 28, 7:05pm
I have a couple of large planter boxes (troughs) which are made out of old pallets. They are painted on the outside. How do I prepare the inside for planting? I would prefer to put soil directly into them, but if it's too fiddly to make that possible I will just have to use plastic pots and free-stand them in the troughs.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 29, 9:07am
I would use black plastic to line them if you want them to last. Punch a few drainage holes through where water won't touch the wood, and fill with potting mix, then trim. Treat them like a hanging basket.

kitty179, Mar 29, 10:44am
That seems to be an easy and sensible idea, thanks hunni. I've never done hanging baskets either so that hadn't occurred to me. No need to affix the plastic by nailing on, or anything? Just fill and trim to the level of the potting mix?

apollo11, Mar 29, 10:48am
Not sure how pallet wood will last. If they are unpainted and in the elements they usually rot out in 3-4 years. If painted, they might rot out at any joints. Moisture will probably get between the wood and any polythene you use and stay there.

kitty179, Mar 29, 11:01am
They are painted on the outside. I sort of regret ordering them now. Probably should have done some research first. Had them made by a local builder who does them as a side job.

apollo11, Mar 29, 11:20am
You could always splash a bit of wood stain around on the inside if you have some to spare, it usually has wood preservative in it. Then cover with black polythene as mentioned above.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 29, 4:44pm
Or leftover oil, the way some folks paint fences.

But I would still line it and if possible slip a wedge underneath to keep the wood off the ground.

Next time, have a look at the zinc ones from the Warehouse and other sources. Cheap, easy to put together, easy enough to bend to make different shapes and last for a good few years, if mine are anything to go by. Only issue is filling the buggers. But once layered up they make excellent small gardens for us city farmers.

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 29, 4:45pm
And yes, the mix will hold the plastic in place.

rita197, Aug 4, 10:09pm
To get maximum plant growth I use 1/3 good quality compost to 2/3 tub mix.