Slaters and strawberries

cat1231, Oct 23, 6:28pm
How can I stop slaters eating my strawberries, they have eaten holes into all the ripe fruit and now 2 unhappy children

amiri1, Oct 23, 7:53pm
This is what google says:

Slaters are a multi-legged, land-living crustacean found all over Australia. They are known as Wood Lice, Pill Bugs and Roley Poleys. They're scavengers, which mean they mainly feed on decaying organic matter and, in doing so, recycle nutrients and help build soil.

Although slaters usually feed on dead and decaying vegetable matter and do not attack living plants, they can sometimes eat seedlings and root vegetables, or take advantage of fallen fruit previously damaged by birds or insects.

I like slaters! :)

amiri1, Oct 23, 7:56pm
I've found them in my strawberries and have got annoyed but have worked out the fruit was getting damaged by just scraping the ground or snails were nibbling them and the slaters were taking advantage after the damage was already done. :)

amiri1, Oct 23, 8:08pm
Had to add: Chemical control against isopods is not necessary ??

eagles9999, Oct 23, 9:13pm
But chemical treatment is easier.

whitehead., Oct 24, 3:12am
i put snail bait in a small milk bottles which was on its side in my stawberry pots the snails and slugs died in the jar and my dogs could not get at the bait to eat it .i only needed 5/6 pallets per bottle

cat1231, Oct 24, 6:36am
whitehead. wrote:
i put snail bait in a small milk bottles which was on its side in my stawberry pots the snails and slugs died in the jar and my dogs could not get at the bait to eat it .i only needed 5/6 pallets per bottle

Thank you Whitehead, finally a constructive comment that I can try.

amiri1, Oct 24, 9:24am
I realise that suggesting it might not be slaters, my strawberry story with a slater experience to back up the "it might not be slaters" and how chemicals might not be necessary to remove slaters especially if you remove decaying plants or damp hiding spots could be seen as a non constructive comment that you wouldn't want to try.

But I still feel quite slighted!

Eagles9999 comment was constructive too!

wine-o-clock, Oct 24, 5:33pm
crunch up wer newspaper around plants at night for the slaters to bury in. come morning, burn the newspaper and slaters

cantabman1, Oct 24, 6:29pm
At my last residence, I had something eating my strawberries all the time and became convinced it was rats as we had caught a number of them over time.
I put out a rat trap to get this one, and to my horror, caught a blackbird:-[

nz_nicola, Aug 21, 9:17am
Or you could get the children to catch them and sell them on here, under reptile food, you'd get about $8. For 20 good pocket money for the kids, and save your strawberries