Weed eaters

friendly_prawn, May 23, 10:48pm
would you buy one with the small blades or are the ones with the string cutters best?

friendly_prawn, May 23, 10:52pm
And has anyone tried the 18v Bosch home handy man weed eaters / Line trimmer? Are they any good?

mouse265, May 24, 12:08am
I have used the stihl trimmers with a straight shaft then you can run a string head or if need be you can run a steel blade . the string will do most trimming around the sections the power trimmers I tried were a waste of time

stevo2, May 24, 5:56am
I have a Shindaiwa straight shaft line trimmer at the bach https://mikeschainsawshop.co.nz/product/shindaiwa-t226s/ and have just bought a Makita 36volt straight shaft line trimmer at home http://www.powertoolshop.co.nz/product_info.php/products_id/1353 . I prefer the petrol trimmer as it has more cutting power and takes a heavier diameter of nylon.

friendly_prawn, May 24, 7:24am
Whats a power trimmer?

zak410, May 24, 9:32am
The difference really is straight shaft versus curved ones.

Straight shaft can be use with a blade for heavier cutting, bush, gorse, the bend shaft is OK for nylon string, for grass, weeds, lawns.

gpg58, May 24, 9:37am
Also some cheap curved shaft do not have a clutch, so harder to start as always turning head.(try pulling starter, and see if head turns)
Gave up on string always snapping and refusing to feed myself, and use a Littl' Juey head on mine.
http://www.littljuey.com/

danchop, May 24, 9:38am
Cheaper weedeaters with the bent shaft aren't strong enough or designed to use blades,but are better for doing grass edges,because of the bend.
All depends what you are using it for really.
As for brand,it all depends whether you want something to start easy every time you go to use it or not

bill1451, May 24, 6:45pm
yup lil Duey is the way to go, had one for 10 years or more, dont use anything else. as the straight and curved shafts have opposite rotations you have to buy the right one for your rig, otherwise they will unscrew at high RPM

planespotterhvn, May 27, 8:54am
Yes agree. The bend is better so you can see the edge that you are cutting. The motors need to be able to run with the unit held upside down. The Stihl FS38 and 45 are a bit dodgy running upside down as the fuel clunk weights are a bit light and the fuel tube assy is a bit short and the tank is a silly "L" shape
The Stihl shop denies it's an issue but has put aftermarket fuel pickup weights and longer tubes in some customers weed eater line trimmers.

friendly_prawn, May 27, 9:15am
i have one that is brilliant but its petrol with a reasonable sized motor. 52cc.
Bit of a pain dragging it around our steep section so thats why Im thinking battery operated ones. they must be must lighter. We dont have a huge area so Im going in to buy a 18v Bosch one. Frustrating they dont give you an idea of their running times on their website though. I do have two batteries already so should be good to go.

Will buy one of those duey attachments. cheers for the help guys.

friendly_prawn, Nov 6, 6:10pm
funny enough bunnings have them (bosch) on sale at the moment and the 18v are more expensive than the same model 36 volt.