Onehunga Weed Control

taurus2005, Nov 29, 1:53pm
I couldn't work out what was prickly in my lawns, finally found it is Onehunga weed. Any suggestion on control please without killing the lawn.

gilligee, Nov 29, 3:29pm
Turfix.
Will need a repeat spray if there are prickles already.

maclad, Nov 29, 4:42pm
As #2 says but spraying won't remove the prickles. You need to spray before the weed flowers in Sept/October to get rid of Onehunga weed and stop prickles, so try again next year.

dbab, Nov 29, 4:59pm
If you only have small patches, you can pull them out carefully. I do this all the time when I'm outside.

taurus2005, Nov 29, 5:03pm
Thanks everyone, I have started pulling out what I see.

cheekypa, Nov 29, 5:06pm
There is actually a special yates Prickle weed killer spray. But as said above the best spraying time is Oct

gazzat22, Nov 29, 5:24pm
Used to be Faneron 50.

jenny188, Dec 2, 4:06pm
Faneron has been around for years, but anything marketed as prickle spray will do the job also. Probably the same chemical. Spraying needs to be done BEFORE it seeds up, so around September up North is usuall. This time of year its too late

maclad, Dec 2, 4:25pm
I agree, but it surprising how many of my clients think that killing the weed will remove the prickle issue this late in the season. LOL. Had a really hard time last week explaining this to a "senior" client who likes to go barefoot.

woody89, Feb 2, 5:55pm
Good practice not o mow the lawn too short. Prickle weed loves heat, dry & no competition. If you mow a bit higher the other species are stronger & help shade & crowd it which slows it down a bit. Works best if you've also sprayed it but does help a lot! Patiently hand weeding is good too- make sure the result is bagged & binned. Also refrain from pulling out prickles & dropping on the ground- they are of course the seed head.