Painting vinyl flooring

colin433, Apr 24, 5:08pm
Is this possible, and what do we do.

Hubby had some slippers with rubber soles. As he stood at the sink (good little housewife he is) the rubber made marks on the vinyl.
He refused to believe it would happen, but we had left a rubber tyred firewood inside another house to protect the firewood from the weather while on holiday. yellow marks on cream vinly was the result, so I knew what would happen in front of the kitchen sink of this house.
It DID happen, now I want to paint the vinyl. Is it possible.
Or would it be better to replace the vinyl, we already have a patch of bare floorboards covered with a mat, due to moving the servery over about a metre. May be better to bite the bullet!

cagivachick1, Apr 24, 6:00pm
you can paint it, you can paint your cat if you want, wont last

articferrit, Apr 24, 7:51pm
you can definitely paint it, use what is called pavement paint from resene. You can use 1/4 inch masking tape to mask areas so it looks like tiles or just paint the lot, I used it on the landing on the stairs and it was still ok after 7 years, youve got nothing to lose by doing it and if you hate it get new vinyl. Resene wont guarantee it but I initially painted the areas in front of the stove, and the sink and it didnt fall off and was a good quick fix.

budgel, Apr 24, 8:03pm
I've painted flooring vinyl with good results.
I think The planks will take paint the same way.
Youtube has several videos on how to do it. Look at a few videos and decide whether it will work for you.

colin433, Apr 25, 11:56am
thankyou articferrit and budgel, you talk good sense. I'll look for the youtube videos, obviously there is a need to clean off the 'klear' that has been used to produce a nice shine.

cagiveachick1 GET REAL! I asked a civil question.

budgel, Apr 25, 12:19pm
Dont know if there was polish on it or not, I used ammonia and then a scuff with scotchbrite.(Ventilate well!) I used three coats of water based enamel as it is hardwearing.

tweake, Apr 25, 12:33pm
i would look at the size and cost to redo the vinyl.
paint is not cheap, especially as you need special paint. even with good paint theres a risk of it wearing off rather quickly.

cagivachick1, Apr 25, 1:21pm
whatever. just paint it then it will wear in the traffic areas and look crap but its your house do what you like

biggles45, Apr 25, 1:38pm
We did it, paint, then 2 or 3 coats of a good quality polyurethane. Lasted for years. But as someone else said, is it worth the time, money and effort compared with laying new vinyl?

colin433, Apr 27, 4:24pm
this was pnly part of the equation. The best way is to lay new, we know that, but we have a tiny house, and have recently re-configured the kitchen which is now huge compared to the rest of the house.
Our biggest problem will be to move the dishwasher (not built in) and the fridge freezer that takes up almost all of one wall, plus a pantry that we added that would be best if moved so that the vinyl goes under it, in case we have a change of heart if we are faced with replacing the f/freezer that is starting to make queer noises.
To move those three large items out of the kitchen, into the living area, we will need to sprout wings so we can flit around over the top of the appliances because they will almost fill the living area.
THAT's the main reason why we thought of painting so that it can be done one half of the room at a time.
As an alternative, we actually thought of laying vinyl planks to enable only part of the room to be done at a time.
FINDING a tradie will probably be almost impossible in our wee town, unless the carpet-layer also does vinyl.
Mrs C

Fitting in with a tradie will have to be taken into account. At 85 and 79, both with crook knees, doing the vinyl removing and re-laying would be too much for our constitutions.

trade4us2, Apr 27, 5:02pm
Is it vinyl or linoleum? Vinyl shouldn't mark and is easy to clean.
Linoleum is horrible.

colin433, Apr 27, 6:16pm
the house is only 13 years old, I think it's a given that it is vinyl.

..pip.., Apr 29, 12:03pm
Just get new lino. Will only be a few $. About the same as the paint and you say you already have a bare patch that you cover with a rug

richynuts, Apr 29, 1:10pm
Seems to be a no brainer just to replace vinyl. especially if there is an area of floorboards to cover

don735, Apr 29, 9:41pm
dont do this

don735, Apr 29, 9:46pm
this joker is on the money, pity op was a bit offended

don735, Nov 18, 3:15pm
yes ichynuts seems the best deal on offer for the OP