Help identify a tree

smyrnia, Jan 1, 8:02am
Hoheria leaves are narrower, longer and have a shiny finish.
They also dont have the noticeable veins running of the central bit.
They also flower a lot later as well, more around chrissy rather than the early spring of Ribbonwood

nice_lady, Jan 1, 6:09pm
Way to go - I reckon you're on the button. Thanks !

junie2, Jan 1, 9:15pm
The growth rate of the troublesome one over the back was phenomenal. We love trees, have dozens of our own , but this was an out-of-control monster. Huge roots took over the vegie garden and the trunk expanded so rapidly it started pushing the fence apart. Never had neighbour issues before, but things became quite acrimonious over that tree!

nice_lady, Dec 31, 9:13am
Taken a photo of a leaf off the neighbours tree. It's pretty tall tree about 5 years or so old - easily 10 metres high.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/703501003.jpg

The pad the leaf is on is an A6 size note jotter pad.

smyrnia, Dec 31, 11:12am
Was it in flower around late Sept ?
Drooping yellowish bunches of flowers ?
If so my guess would be Lowland Ribbonwood, Plagianthus regius

nice_lady, Dec 31, 11:29am
Hmmm thanks for the reply, however I did a quick google on that and I'm fairly sure the tree is NOT deciduous.

harrislucinda, Dec 31, 11:30am
looks like a oak leaf

nice_lady, Dec 31, 11:38am
There are many types of Oak of course, and the leaf does have a resemblance to some but we've never seen acorns on the tree ? Do all oaks have them ?

nice_lady, Dec 31, 11:41am
It would undoubtedly be easier to ask the person who planted the tree but they're in the uk and have been for quite some time. Believe the house is rented out now.

nice_lady, Dec 31, 11:50am
Actually after a re-think yeah it could be that one. google says it's semi deciduous and the flowers are the same I think.

Thanks !

junie2, Dec 31, 11:53am
I'd go with lacebark /ribbonwood ( Hoheria ) too. That rate of growth fits. Not deciduous.

nice_lady, Dec 31, 11:59am
hmm. not quite the right leafage i think . and the trees got yellowish flowers rather than white .

meetee, Dec 31, 12:09pm
Looks like lacebark leaves, perhaps a ribbonwood cross if it has yellowish flowers.

junie2, Dec 31, 4:34pm
The flowers on huge one over the back fence, which gave me so much grief over the years, were more yellowy/cream that white.

nice_lady, Mar 23, 5:03pm
Ok thanks. Yeah we feel this tree is going to be a problem it's already about 10 M tall. Why can't people plant dwarf trees !