Kill off roots of dead pine tree

rats123, Mar 30, 1:00am
I am trying to convert an area on our section into a garden. Unfortunately not far from the area there was an old dying pine tree we had chopped down but its extensive root system still remains in place. You can't dig two shovels full before you hit a root.

I have managed to expose most of the roots, though there maybe plenty more. What is the easiest way of removing these roots? Is there a herbicide I could use which would over a period of time turn these roots into mulch? Unfortunately i can't bring machinery to the site to pull the roots out.

Thanks

annies3, Mar 30, 1:40am
Pine tree roots will rot reasonably quickly, and as they do it will become easier to dig them out, you are looking at a couple of years, no if the tree is dead and gone no herbicide will help to rot it as far as I know, you can use it as a feature in the meantime and plant over the stump with a climing rose or other hanging type flowering plants.
You can plant in amongst the roots they wont hurt your plants unless you do use a herbicide, you will be surprised how quickly they will be gone.

rats123, Mar 30, 2:26am
Thanks for your reply. It has been almost 2 years since the tree was cut down and the roots are still pretty firm. How much longer will it take?

ianab, Mar 30, 3:02am
Hard to say. Depends on moisture / temp etc. How well the fungus that's going to break them down gets started.

But uncovering them and then keeping them damp should speed things up. When they are buried, little oxygen gets at them, so they stay intact longer. When they are on the surface, well you have wood, oxcygen and water together. So the fungus can get started.

Otherwise, it's machinery. Get someone in with a heacy duty stump grinder and let them deal to it.

rats123, Mar 30, 8:22am
I have exposed the roots as best as possible but more work needs to be done. Is there any chemical I could use to accelerate the process?

pauldw, Mar 30, 8:40am
If you don't want to do the clearing work could you raise the garden? It's not as if it will hurt the tree now.

rats123, Mar 30, 9:28am
Because it is a sloped section it will be difficult to do. I really need to get those roots out some how.

I was hoping there was something I could spray/inject in them that would make them rot faster.

harrislucinda, Feb 19, 8:04am
Yes weed weapon to try going to tell son as need stumps gone