Is it ok to use pine needles as mulch for

jcdm, Sep 20, 4:55am
veges?

tigra, Sep 20, 5:42am
You can use them for all plants, they do give out a resin which seems to have a lasting effect on the soil. Not detrimental just lasting

zak410, Sep 20, 5:55am
Yes, in fact they sell it in the states for garden mulch, I 'googled' it myself a while ago and most people using it swear by it, the acidity from it seem to be bit of a fallacy.

figjamto, Sep 20, 7:25pm
I have read on here that it is good to put on Oxalis weed to get rid of it ?

cantabman1, Sep 20, 7:48pm
You do find that there isn't any weeds that grow under a pine tree, so I would use a little , but not a lot as a mix in your soil just to be on the safe side.

jcdm, Sep 20, 9:20pm
Thanks for the replies, if the rain ever stops I'll grab my rake and give it a go.

trad, Sep 20, 9:44pm
I recall that pine needles are good to mulch acid lovers such a Daphne, so I do not think it would be good as a general garden mulch unless you limed first.

kcc55a, Sep 23, 10:23pm
Could it just be that a Pine Tree tends to shade the area around it

cantabman1, Sep 24, 7:17pm
True, but also Pine trees have Kerosene in them.

bjsim, Sep 24, 7:50pm
for years I have been using this mulch around my azaleas, rodo"s, ect. I pile it thick as there is only acid loving plants in this garden. weed free. I do this yearly after the shelter belts have been trimmed and mulch. Do not put on rose beds. ect.

merrigj, Sep 24, 10:50pm
I have just put them around my strawberries instead of straw. Hope it is ok to use it for this.

zak410, Sep 24, 11:02pm
Prefect for strawberries.

merrigj, Sep 24, 11:04pm
Yay thanks.

jenny188, Sep 19, 7:05am
Nz pine needles are acidic , as stated in posts above, so most plants do like ph close to 7. In general a dressing of lime will be an advantage. As above also shading in a forest has only a slight influence.