Decking - Kwila or Pine

Page 1 / 2
chakendrick, Dec 31, 12:45pm
Kwila has splinters and can bleed and stain anything it comes into contact with, go with pine but the wider 150 board. A much better look.

cantabman1, Dec 31, 7:41pm
I would rather use pine too.
Also, it comes from Indonesia, taking away more of Pimates habitation, and NOT sustainable unlike Pine.

strathview, Jan 1, 2:47am
What about Vitex for decking. We are using it on a new build and it is only a small area. Pine is no good for our weather conditions. Kwila will bleed and our bricks are a cream so could cause issues. Vitex will bleed but at least is similar in colour to our bricks.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 1, 5:33am
can you please ensure your vitex is fsc approved, otherwise it's unsustainably sourced from the rainforests

underconstructy, Jan 1, 6:43am
Just use Garapa and be done with it.

neell, Jan 1, 8:43am
What is Garapa?

apollo11, Jan 1, 9:45am
It's wood.

neell, Jan 1, 8:42pm
Thank you Einstein.
I tried to edit to say I had Googled it and knew what TYPE of wood it was but it wouldn't let me edit.

underconstructy, Jan 1, 9:21pm
It a South American hardwood decking timber.

chakendrick, Jan 1, 10:54pm
All of these imported hardwoods, despite having documentation saying they are from sustainable plantations, are dodgy. Nothing wrong with a well made pine deck and the wide boards look really smart. Other option is that Ekologix composite decking that is sold at Bunnings.

strathview, Jan 2, 4:19am
I'm quite relaxed about supporting the villages in the Solomon islands and yes it is fsc approved. Pine is not an option for our decking down here in the deep south as it just does not last well and it twists badly. The vitex is quite reasonable considering the distance involved in getting it here.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 2, 4:28am
great :) vitex is fantastiv, as long as it's the sustainable sourced vitex.

underconstructy, Jan 2, 5:58am
Ecologix sold at bunnings has no fixing system and no grooved edge to take clips. It's also $70ish a length, which is higher than the likes of Hybrideck, Timbertech or Outdure. They all have secret fixing systems and wider fascia or trim boards available (ecologix does not).

Basically Ekologix should be you last option for a composite decking. Also most of those composites fade badly and the ones which are brown colours with a bit of a grain (aka imitation timber) are f%king hideous. There really hard on saw blades, alot of the boy hate laying cause they thrash there tools.

Or if you wanna real mint long life hardwood deck use Tonka or Garapa.

underconstructy, Jan 2, 6:10am
Vitex is nice but it's hardler to source these days. Garapa, Tonka Aussie Merbau and Eculyptus Saligna are the future. Balau is also super popular at the moment because it's cheap as chips.

Pine is just plain cheap and nasty!

gedc, Jan 2, 9:34am
So with all the opinions here, I see treated pine is still favoured by some. My deck as I said is livable but under the eaves of the house where the sun doesn't hit much, it looks absolutely mint - uniform, smooth, 150mm wide boards, no cupping etc. On the sun hit part - cupped, warped, splits in some boards. Not unuseable but again, nothing like the bit in the shade. I've tried several brands of coatings/ stains and they all claim to be brilliant but none have really done much TBH. Is this just the nature of pine in general and I'm fighting a losing battle or is it possible to keep pine looking as it was laid?

eddienz, Jan 2, 11:39am
Kiwla for me. Way nicer than pine and dosnt move like pine

bergkamp, Jan 3, 3:05am
how is it fixed?

tim41, Jan 9, 7:49pm
Kiwla for me. Way nicer than pine and dosnt move like pine
want to put money on that ?

faa_luke, Jan 9, 8:13pm
Pine is fine on a budget, but hardwood is just so much nicer IMO. Pine is pine, no matter how you dress it up. I've heard from landscapers that giving hardwood a few good washes before laying reduces any further leeching. Pretty hard to compare the finished products really. I used to think pine was great, then I started to notice all of the houses I was part of the build of, used hardwood. I could never go pine now, it just looks so cheap in comparison. As for pine lasting longer, I doubt it, but it you don't maintain a deck I guess nothing will last forever.

donz01, Jan 10, 1:07am
If you can afford the kwilla you can afford some Danish oil to seal it. If you prefer a wet look use some teak oil a couple days after the Danish oil. 2 coats of Danish oil made all my outside kwilla bbq furniture (6 years old) glow colour wise and look wet even though its totally dry. Any spills wipe off easily.
My pine decking will be coming up and kwilla going down next summer as the deck is now 16 years old and as much as we have kept it stained and oiled its use by date is about up.

moltenfire, Jan 11, 9:11am
In view of the above, best advice would be to toss a $10 coin.

neell, Dec 31, 7:13am
Hello all.
I want to replace my decking which is currently pine. I have been told that kwila is better than pine but also been told the opposite.
At present the supports are around 600 apart and I have been told with kwila I will need to halve that as kwila is a lot thinner than pine.
Apart from the price of kwila is either better than the other - and why?
Thanks.

luvthebikes, Dec 31, 7:36am
400mm apart is pretty standard for Kwila, it won't shrink like pine does & looks better & will last longer too, is harder to work with you need to drill holes for nails or screws.

budgel, Dec 31, 8:07am
I disagree about it lasting longer. In my many years as a jobbing carpenter it was always Kwila that needed replacing because of rot, not pine.

With joists at .600 centres, ex 40mm pine is the way to go. applying a good quality stain afterwards gives a long lasting good looking deck in my opinion.

golfdiver, Dec 31, 8:13am
Can't argue.