Wooden decking

jafapat, Aug 14, 4:36pm
Is it the done thing to lay wooded decking direct onto concrete tiles? Or must they have an air gap underneath the timber.

happychappy50, Aug 14, 4:54pm
I presume you mean tiles.

I wouldn’t as with our wet climate water just sits there,I would run battens under the decking,at least you have a cavity to allow some form of air movement to help dry it out

ceebee2, Aug 14, 9:38pm
What is the height difference from existing floor level to tiles?

budgel, Aug 15, 12:00pm
In short, no it's not the done thing.

gennie, Aug 16, 9:17pm
I would imagine it is rained heavily there would be a lot of water sitting around the decking timber which over time will result in it getting very slippery and taking ages to ever dry out properly in winter. I wouldn't recommend.

colin433, Aug 18, 5:18pm
we had a very badly pitted concrete deck at Tokoroa. We had no option but to put wooden battens down, then decking. It was 100% successful, although it WAS under cover to a great extent.
We did a great job, had lots of great comments about it, Also built wooden steps to cover the exisiting concrete steps that were too high for all but the longest legged person.
It was still as good as new when we left some years later, I reckon it would have a lifespan of at least 20 years

budgel, Aug 19, 12:09pm
Putting battens down creates an air gap.

tesss36, Aug 22, 1:45am
On the subject of decking, has anyone used composite decking boards? My deck in need of replacing and debating whether to go all out and get the composite boards, as we live by the sea and am really liking what I have been reading about them.

happychappy50, Oct 4, 12:58pm
Have built several composite decks,if I had a choice would use composite.No maintenance is the main one,it is expensive tho.There are some great systems out there either with clips as fasteners against screws/nails.