Decking timber

hammer23, Nov 27, 11:58pm
Hopefully it is not to late to warn you but don't be like the bloke who went up to the new yardman at Placemakers and called in a bossy voice. I want decking,so the yardman got in first and thumped him.

newtec1, Nov 28, 3:33am
I know what achitects are like.The reason he suggested,yes suggested was because he couldn't decide up or down so tried alternate,and it turned out great. When you see your rep next time ask him why Kwila has runoffs on the smooth side but not on the groove side,and we know what reps are like as well. If you don't believe me sort through your next load of Kwila and report back.

newtec1, Nov 28, 3:37am
Also ask him what side the grooves are on ecodeck.?

echoriath, Nov 28, 6:38am
I have not used the system the Placemaker's rep was pushing a few years ago to plug the screw holes, but presumably it would only make sense to do it on the smooth side.

underconstructy, Nov 28, 8:05am
I have just built a 30m2 kwila deck at home, smooth side up. I cannot seen any run off marks on the smooth side. Looks mint smooth side up, we always build smooth side up. We also regularly use deck such as garapa, tonka or vitex which has no grooves at all.

newtec1, Nov 28, 8:12am
Yes i have built plenty smooth side up,but my thoughts would still be the same.

ebygum1, Nov 28, 7:41pm
I have been involved in the production and profiling of timber for over 50 years. The industry changed the decking profile from the old " sheep grating " one with undercut edges to the reeded one in the eighties to meet the requirements NZS 3604 section 8 and have a slip resistance of 6. You can lay it any way you choose,but you have the option there to meet the standard,and would have no complaint to the producer about slippery decking.

ebygum1, Nov 28, 7:44pm
The spaced grooves are there to reduce cupping,but this decking looks very nice laid that way up.

plyguy, Nov 28, 8:53pm
Band sawn face is the best decking. Safe to walk on and looks good.

fhpottery, Nov 29, 3:36am
Ill build my next deck with the grooves down just to be politically correct. It kind of makes sense to let air underneath, but really by the time they rot the decks can be many years old. It's good treated timber, so I really don't think it's an issue unless required by the building code. Good topic thow I've learnt something.

sooby, Nov 29, 6:15am
Can anyone point out the requirement in the building code for grooved boards down for ventilation? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere and surely if this was an issue joists AND bearers would both come grooved as well, which they are not?!

As mentioned NZBC clause D1 access requires main access coefficient of decking to be grooved for grip. If this ventilation issue was real this clause would NOT work as is, so would not be in the building code! The Building Code was written in 1991, so plenty of time for amendments since then if they needed to add a 'decking grooved side down' clause, again this HAS NOT happened - what does this say to you?

I'd love to know where this 'grooves down for ventilation' myth first started. sounds like an April fools day gag to me!

ebygum1, Jul 17, 5:11pm
The only requirement is in NZS3604 that requires the decking to have a slip resistance of 6,which can be achieved by using griptread. Also it does not state " main access " but " a deck that gives access to a dwelling " You could also achieve the slip resistance by using a coating or netting etc. The thing about air circulation between joists and decking seems to have started on an Aussie D.I.Y. show some time ago. The " expert " who said it no longer presents the show.