Strawberry patch decimaed by cows

hillty, Sep 7, 8:19pm
grhh, cattle broke into the garden this morning, chewed my plants down to ground zero.
Is it worth re planting the roots?
Or should just go buy new ones?

autumnwinds, Sep 7, 11:32pm
Replant the most viable looking ones, and buy new ones to fill the area. Warehouse has the "Sweetie" variety everyone's so keen on in stock @ $3, and others at $2: other plant outlets have $5 for 10 on some varieties.

And something to stop the cows getting in again would be a priority?

ebygum1, Sep 8, 12:40pm
MMMM Strawberry Milk.

sr2, Sep 8, 3:25pm
MMMM. with eye fillet?

majoba, Sep 9, 11:43am
And if you meant 'decimated' that is not what they did. Hard to imagine how cows would decimate a strawberry patch.

samanya, Sep 9, 5:57pm
Don't be picky, I think you knew it was a typo & by the sound of the damage . 'decimate' was exactly the right word to use " unless the Cambridge English Dictionary is wrong.

​"to kill a large number of something, or to reduce something severely:"
Anyway OP, I'd do what autumnwinds has suggested, all is not lost, you might be surprised how many of your strawberry plans survived & perhaps get leashes for your cattle ;o) JK

kevymtnz, Sep 9, 6:28pm
sue the owners, if your own cows haha

maclad, Sep 9, 6:40pm
Well rebutted, but guess that is the wrong word. I know it is but guess will soon be informed.

les6, Sep 10, 2:41pm
mine were done over by fallow deer! same thing some dork left the gate open(me)they did clean out alot of old leaves and trash and basically gave the bed a good cleanup so it may have been a blessing in disguise?not so for the young apricot tree ring barked and stripped?

starseeker, Sep 10, 4:57pm
let's hope they left some 'calling cards ' to be used as fertiliser when rotted down!

venna2, Sep 10, 6:43pm
What a cow of a thing to happen.

samanya, Sep 10, 7:16pm
Those strawberry plants will love love a bit of cow sh*t . once they start growing again.

hillty, Sep 28, 10:06am
Ok thanks all . Yes they were chewed to the dirt and I thought desimated, how ever; I have rescued a dozen or so healthy root systems, and replanted with some cow shit.

Will buy some more new plants.
Pity, as I hd so many young new shoots ready to plant out.