Novice gardener- strawberry plants turning red

angelbabe6, Jun 1, 2:01am
I have no gardening experience, but would like to grow some food plants. A few weeks ago I saw strawberry plants for sale and bought 6. After a little looking online, I chose somewhere that is normally very sunny, and carefully planted them. Today I had a look and saw the leaves are turning red and spotty. Can they be saved, or is it better to take them out, and plant new plants elsewhere? TIA

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 1, 2:12am
Leave them. It could be the cold. My plants have heaps of red leaves following the recent chill, but they'll come right. Plenty of time to replace if they don't.

cantabman1, Jun 1, 3:04am
It is normal for the older leaves to turn red and then die off.You can cut them back and then wait until spring for the new growth to come on.They love sulphate of potash for food.

gabbysnana, Jun 1, 6:25am
why are you trying to grow strawberries in winter? They are dying back now. Waiting for spring to come.

goldgurl, Jun 1, 6:32am
I planted my strawberry plants out a couple of weeks ago (all the runner and dividing last years crop) The commercial growers in my area do it at this time. I agree with Ohhunni. it's prolly the cold weather. they'll bounce back come spring :)

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 1, 6:39am
Lots of green things do a red flush in the cold, it seems logical for strawbs too! Though if the berries turn blue, you may be in for a windfall.

nzjay, Jun 1, 11:34am
It's called Autumn Colours

lythande1, Jun 1, 7:52pm
Wrong time of year. leave them and they will resume in spring and make baby plants.

angelbabe6, Jun 2, 4:25am
Like I said, I am a novice. I saw them for sale and bought them. Please don't criticize, unless you are someone like Ian Scarrow, or you were born a botanical expert, and was gardening the minute you popped out. Everybody has to learn.

buzzy110, Jun 2, 5:08am
I separated three plants that someone had given me at this time, a couple of years ago. The three plants made 20. They thrived and produced plenty of berries from very early in the season to mid-February. Wish I could find some strawberry plants that someone was getting rid of.

redhead96, Jun 2, 5:51am
Mine are producing strawberries at the moment. Not that we get to eat them before the slugs or those worm like things.
When I get a chance I will take them off to let the plant rest.

samanya, Jun 2, 5:51am
I have around 80 plants & they do need renewing every 2-3 years. Split older plants will thrive, but not produce as many berries. I take the first runner from each plant, because they are recommended as the strongest growers & they are my replacements.
Splitting plants is not as productive as the new runner method.
I do wish I lived closer to you & I'd be happy to give you my excess, but you could always ask your friends?

samanya, Jun 2, 5:57am
Good on you.
As others have said, it's perfectly normal for the leaves to go a bit reddish.
Keep on asking & learning & I promise you, the first home grown strawberry you eat will be the best one you have ever tasted!

wendalls, Jun 2, 8:52am
But be warned that some other critter will probably get there before you! I'd put money on it! And I read that it's good for strawberry plants to be planted so they get some cold weather before their spring growth.

cantabman1, Jun 2, 8:35pm
Yes, I always loose a few early ripeners to the blackbirds feeding their young.

buzzy110, Jun 4, 3:12am
Thanks for that advice. I did use the runners, rather than actually splitting them. My gardening terminology is not that brilliant. I have to make a new s/b bed for this year so will start with new plants but this time I will continue to use the first runner as you have advised to add to the patch and start throwing away plants that have fruited for the second time.

buzzy110, Jun 4, 3:16am
I covered mine with one of those expandable nets that use high tensile wire to keep upright. This year I am going to make a bird cover from flexible, but rigid black piping so I can make it higher and cover with netting to keep butterflies and birds out. I don't know how the flowers are pollinated but the lack of bees in the patch didn't seem to matter at all. I hope that wasn't just a fluke or it is back to the drawing board.

kendall40, Jun 4, 3:36am
Could you please say what the 'flexible but rigid black piping' is that you use? Thanks.

redhead96, Jun 4, 4:59am
I got to eat one of my strawberries today.

buzzy110, Jun 4, 10:37pm
I can't. I only saw it in the store a couple of weeks ago and thought it would be ideal for what I wanted, and not too expensive.

My other option was high tensile wire stuck into small bamboo poles which I intend to use for my bean frames. I'm sick of pulling up frames and moving them and I can make archways over paths with other refinements that I am thinking about.

wendalls, Jun 5, 9:59am
I used really thick fencing wire that was lieing around from previous owner. Must have stapled it in. However the flimsy netting is wrecked now coz mint and Fennell grew through it. I really had little success with mine last year as skinks or whatever they are. ate most of em. Or they rotted from touching the ground or something. ( I lost interest due to thieves. ) Don't think I mounded them up enough. I had a great big strawberry last week that something ate, unripe though.

samanya, Jun 5, 10:21pm
My strawberries are in slightly raised beds, about 30+ cm with netting covered lids. The lids are not heavy & they are hinged with heavy rubber . works well & easy to make.

les6, Dec 22, 2:09am
don`t stress,now is the time they plant them comercially,for good reason.the roots are well established to kick them away as the days get longer and the soil warms up.