Strawberry question.

bindyloo, Jan 27, 7:23pm
First season planted, and had a fantastic crop. However, would like to know once they finish flowering/fruiting, do you leave them in the garden.for next season.!(Also read somewhere, where you remove the runners, !. and also plant in a different position each season.! Any answers appreciated.

lythande1, Jan 27, 7:31pm
Strawberries have a 3 yr cycle.
!st year, getting going, 2nd year, millions of them, for ages, 3rd year, they go all sad.
Refresh them end of 2nd year and they'll keep on going.

stevee6, Jan 27, 8:12pm
Remove the runners in the first year as you want the plants to develop properly. After that you can pot on the first plant on a runner, leaving the runner attached until the baby plant has a good root system developed. When you pull out old tired plants, it's a good idea not to plant strawberries there for a couple of years unless you replace the soil, as strawberry diseases from the old plants will lurk for a while, as in any monoculture.

cantabman1, Jan 27, 8:30pm
From an original 10 plants many years ago after a marrage break up, i ended up with over 500 plants.
I achieved this by breaking up the plants each year and repotting, and planting the stronger runners for the next season.

harrislucinda, Jan 27, 8:57pm
yesall goodadviceasaboveAnddontforgettofeedbeginingoftheseason

bindyloo, Jan 28, 12:29am
So do you leave them in the garden, over winter., Also (I'm unsurelol) which are the "runners"appreciated all your replies.

harrislucinda, Jan 28, 12:54am
yesleavethemin as they likethecoldwehavesnowin thewinterTherunnersarethebabyplanton theendofthevinewillattachinthegroundifleftCannipoffifhaverootsto repot

bindyloo, Jan 28, 2:00am
Thanks for that.(I'm learning something all the time now lol)

tigra, Jan 28, 2:41am
About julyor August, before the next fruiting season starts, get rid of all the old dying leaves and runners. First, they take nutrition away from the fruiting areas and they also create the ground conditions for thepossibility of rotting fruit

magnolia60637, Feb 12, 10:15am
I bought twenty new plants this year.Planted them in strawberry compost and feed them. They have been all leaves and no strawberries, I have cut the runners off too