Strawberry runners

willoughbys, Feb 13, 9:55pm
not sure really what i do now.
New plants this year with a fantastic crop of fruit.they now have lots of runners with heaps of plants rooting in.do i keep these!

malone4, Feb 13, 10:12pm
definitely keep them if you have the room. just make sure they lay on the soil so they can root in. it wont hurt if you break the branch long as the new plant has been planted.

harrislucinda, Feb 13, 10:54pm
yesnipoffwhenyou seetheyhaverootsPlantinpotsorstartupanotherstrawberrybed

willoughbys, Feb 13, 11:00pm
ok thanks so much- yes have got roots and growing well.

secretmissy1, Feb 27, 11:28am
Because it is so dry right now - keep them attached to the mother plant until autumn or wet hits and then they will be more resilient to transplanting and have more roots on them.

dibble35, Feb 27, 6:17pm
the first 2 or 3 from the parent plant are meant to be the best. This is what people have always told me.

cantabman1, Feb 27, 6:34pm
Asked and answered many times before; check earlier posts by clicking on the left hand side pages search.

malone4, Feb 28, 7:18am
this annoys the shite out of you doesnt it.

this is the first time i've seen a thread about it. Perhaps you maybe on here too often!

flyingpencil, Mar 2, 6:36am
I used to work in a commercial strawberry PYO place. - so acres of them.We trained 4 runners off each strawberry plant, so two in each direction, to create the rows of strawberries.And as said above, just used to lay them on the soil.The rest were removed.This was in the UK and strawberries over there are prone to botrytus.It's a mold that makes the strawberries rot and is caused by wet & humid conditions.So perhaps you would be best to thin them out a bit with the transplanting of the spare runners.We also used to only keep strawberry plants for 3 years, so transplanting a few each year would be a good idea to keep you in a constant supply perhaps.

tjc30, Mar 2, 11:25am
My one in a strawberry upright container thing. Went mad sending out shoots all over the place. Because it sits on concrete what I ended up trialling as picking them off to repot didnt work as the roots werent forming on concrete. So I broke them off and put them all in a shallow bowl of water. Working so far. Will replant them when I can manage to get the young chooks that keep escaping .out of my strawberry garden .gah!

cantabman1, Mar 2, 8:39pm
Yes.there was a post not 3 weeks ago asking the same thing, which i answered.

malone4, Apr 3, 9:53pm
I grow mine along my fence railings in some old runs of house spouting.
works a treat and looks great. Plus it comes in handy when needing extra room for other plants on the property.

Its A good tip for those with small sections and limited garden space.

Growing potatoes in stacked car tires also makes for space saving too.