Commercial Strawberry growers- a question

samsnan, Nov 22, 2:44am
Birds seem to beat the home grown people to their crop unless they cover every inch.
So how come they dont get to your big fields of them? or do they but you dont worry about them.

tigra, Nov 22, 2:50am
Interesting question I trust a Commercal Grower will respond

macman26, Nov 22, 5:24am
I asked a grower this same question once. Their response was that they grew a large amount and expect to loose some to birds and rodents.

samanya, Nov 22, 7:21am
I've got my large patch covered . but I picked some yesterday & put them on the lawn while I wandered off for a moment & damn me, a blackbird had scoffed a couple & was making off with another on in it's little beak!
Red colour is high on their radar, I reckon.

lythande1, Nov 22, 6:13pm
I don't lose my home patch to birds.
Then again, I have 2 cats. but they don't always sit round there. there have been the odd peck hole in one or two but nothing major.

golfdiver, Nov 22, 6:41pm
Ants attack ours more than birds

deanna14, Nov 23, 10:04am
I wondered the same thing about fruit trees. Our one apple tree's fruit is devoured by the birds before they are anywhere near ripe. Yet down the road there is an orchard. I have to buy their apples.

maclad, Nov 24, 3:28am
I lose lots of my home grown produce, before it is fully ripe, to my small 2 legged visitors. They will learn in time not to pick the fruit until I say so, (I hope).

samanya, Nov 24, 4:33am
No they won't maclad!
I feed them in the winter, wouldn't you think they could repay me by leaving my berries alone when there's heaps of other stuff to eat (not as tasty though) ungrateful little sods ;o)

maclad, Jul 24, 7:45am
Sorry, tongue in cheek here. Was talking about my grandies, who love berries but I would like to see them eat the ripe berries. They will have to learn LOL