Strawberry runners?

rovertniloc, Mar 4, 7:57am
Can I cut these off someones elses plants, and put them in the ground at home, at this time of year? Are they good stock for next season or do they just get thrown away?

mojo49, Mar 4, 8:35am
I have cut them off and used them with great success, so give it a try, but leave it another month or so until they are really dormant.

macandrosie, Mar 4, 8:47am
they say take the runner that is closest to the parent plant as it will be the heaviest fruitier, no necessarily the first year out! After fruiting has finished later this month you can get stuck in & cut main plants well back, removing all runners. one of the secrets to good sized & plenty of fruit is feeding & plenty of watering. Watering swells all fruit to it's maximum potential.

ianab, Mar 4, 7:28pm
What has worked best for me is to put a pot beside the existing plant, and peg the runner down for a few weeks. Once it's got it's own root system, cut the cord and bring the new plant home.

Just cutting them off and planting them usually works, but if they have their own roots already, then they have a head start.

harrislucinda, Dec 14, 10:50pm
yes peg down until they have their own roots but you can place in a jar of water to start shoots if you have cut off already