Newbie clearing up a strawberry bed needing advice

spacekids, Mar 29, 3:20am
I`m clearing up a very overgrown strawberry bed. Is it better to keep the older larger plants and just split them or use the newer runners. What sort of spacing should i leave between the plants?
Thanks in advance

samanya, Mar 29, 4:43am
It depends on how old the 'old' plants are.
I usually biff them after a couple of seasons, whether I'm correct, I don't know.
I've just done mine & have used the first runner . like the one nearest the parent plant, because I read somewhere that's the best one to use.
I'm sure others will be along to tell you more about it.

aj.2., Mar 29, 4:57am
Use the Best of the new runners/ shoots, that way you don't end up with old plants, and you get the strong plants growing well, for next season.

maclad, Mar 29, 4:58am
I agree that once a plant has done 2 or 3 years replace it with the first plant off the runners.

macandrosie, Mar 29, 6:21am
The young runners closest to the parent plants are the strongest most vigorous, & supposedly better yielding. I fuss over my plants & feed them lots & get an average yield while my daughter lets hers go mad & doesn't tend them & she has better results! Why is that?!

lythande1, Mar 29, 7:34pm
Keep the babies.
They have a 3 yr cycle.

Space how you like, they grow to take over anyway!

samanya, Mar 30, 1:56am
Are all of the babies as productive as the first one?

gem661, Feb 17, 7:08am
Straw is good in the fruiting season and fruit sits on that rather than soil. Liquid seaweed and horse manure are good too. The horse manure breaks down over time and the liquid seaweed can be utilised quickly through leaves and soil. Coffee grinds can help the soils worm activity.
Netting is useful to keep the birds from gutsing your fruit. When the buggars get onto a food source like, they usually keep hammering it.