1st Time Vege Gardener.Jersey Bennies

us4dylana, Feb 4, 6:12am
I live in North Otago, South Island. Have had one really good lot of Jersey Bennies and am now wondering is it too late for me to plant another lot! Can anyone recommend a good 'winter' potato variety! Agria! Thanks

gardie, Feb 4, 6:23am
To be honest, I just put any type of potato in at any time - I don't go with the early/late/summer/winter bit.We do live just north of Auckland thoughand don't get frosts where we are.Frosts will kill them so it may be getting a little late for you.I'd allow 12 weeks for baby potatoes in a cooler climate - longer if you want them bigger.

32oscar, Feb 8, 6:30am
too late now but. what we did was plant early Jersey Bennies and then every 3-4 weeks after that plant another row or two (this year did Karaka and Heather varieties).We now will have potatoes to keep us going right through winter.

P.S. we are in Dunedin so same climate.

lythande1, Feb 8, 7:00pm
Yes, too late down there now.

ry5, Feb 10, 1:39am
I just put in a couple of rows of Karaka & I'm in Mosgiel.I know I'm taking a punt on them surviving before the frosts arrive, but I'm hoping because we had late frosts in spring, we might get a long, warm Autumn. Fingers crossed!

reggienz, Feb 11, 9:33am
I was wondering if I could plant spuds now and cover them with straw to keep the frost off the greenery when it comes up. What's your views!

sonja2, Mar 2, 12:52pm
I think gardening is trial and error, and we do better when we throw away the rule books and the pre-conceived ideas and just go for it. Whats the worst thing that can happen! You loose a bit of straw and your seed potatoes.but what if you manage to haul in a late crop!