NZ Gardener Magazine Get Growing Campaign 2008

Page 1 / 61
juliewn, Dec 31, 1:13pm
Hi Julie. :~). we did have a lovely Christmas thanks. hope you did too. and that you have a 2008 that is just the way you would like it to be. Cheers. Julie

1mumof4, Dec 31, 9:40pm
Thank you! I've signed up for this too.Thanks for sharing!

patmcg, Dec 31, 10:24pm
Thank you I think this is a great idea have signed up, thanks for letting us know.

kbateman, Dec 31, 11:27pm
Hi. Can sameone or anyone tell be same garden shows I can watch on my laptop as I do not have sky TV. Hope one can help. Thank you all.

jules., Jan 1, 8:25am
what a wonderful day to start the new year with! we had a wonderfull HOT sunny day here to start the new year off with. i picked my first 2 courgettes today along with a few more beans the kids promptly ate. i have stewed a large pot full of peaches and a few necterines from my uncles and a small pot of rhubarb too. smells great!

jules., Jan 1, 8:49am
http://www.primetv.co.nz/Default.aspx!tabid=295

Click on this link and youcan watch all episodes :)

jules., Jan 1, 8:50am
Can anyone tell me what the little black bugs are that are killing my garlic plants please! And what can I do about them!

trader250, Jan 1, 9:41am
I joined up and received the first newsletter! Thanks for letting us know : )

stevee6, Jan 1, 9:43am
I joined up but haven't received a newsletter so far.

juliewn, Jan 1, 9:45am
Hi. I got the first newsletter today too. It's interesting and inspiring. I have lots of veges planted and am looking forward to enjoying the goodies. I've planted extra plants and seeds too so I can take the extra produce to our local food bank as it comes ready. I'm looking forward to the weekly emailed newsletters from Linda Callinan. Have fun growing your veges.

juliewn, Jan 1, 9:48am
Hi Quantum. I'm sorry for not replying to your post earlier. I'll take the photos as soon as I can over the next few days and post links to them in your thread. As I posted there, I've basically planted everything on or near the fenced boundaries so far, with only two small gardens so far away from the boundaries. Have a great year everyone. and enjoy your gardens.

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 1, 10:33pm
I planted my garden in all nice neat rows, used some of our own compost and have had self seeded tomatoes and pumpkins come up, I left them to see what would happen and they have taken over, they are all really large and cant see the carrots-beetroot-springonions and radiches, they all have flowers on them so dont like to pull out. Also I bought the seed tapes to seehow they would go and they are fantastic, hardly any thining out just a few carrots and they were big enough to eat. Picking zuchinnis everyday and have just made a slice with 5 of them to use up. My rhubarb has gone crazy this year too, picked around 15 large stalks and just cut up and straight in the freezer and its still going crazy! my compost must have been good! happy gardening everyone, although a bit overcast and looks like rain.

stevee6, Jan 1, 10:47pm
Started my Get Growing diary last night. This should be a useful tool, especially with a new vege garden going in. Picked more of the tiny French Fin de Bagnol bush beans(thanks Kings Seeds) - easily the yummiest beans on this planet! And one of my heritage tomatoes is laden, Green Sausage is the weirdest tomato plant ever. It looks like an elephant sat on it - refuses to grow up at all but has a zillion sausage shaped tomatoes on it. I'm going to have to guess when they're ripe though.

misskittydragon, Jan 2, 12:19am
stevee6 I have just started my dairy as well. I have made a few mistakes with the veggie garden but we had only a small window of time to get it in. I am so glad that it is flourishing. You and others on this thread are so motivating and give some wonderful advise. I am learning so much. Have spent most of the morning reading gardening books and learning about companion planting. If you couldnt put compost on your garden before planting can you dig it in later. lol might have a look at those tomatoes. They sound really interesting. I have definitely found that mint is a deterrent to mice. woohoo we are mouse free at long last.

quantum_leap, Jan 2, 1:14am
I got my first newsletter today and I will plant some mesculan salad this week
I've got an old wheelbarrow full of compost ready to go. Also today I bought a courgette, basil seedlings and an eggplant to back up my large ones and an artichoke.
I'd been feeling grumpy for the last couple of days but the thought of planting has cheered me up again!
Thankyou my friends, I look forward to hearing more about your gardening adventures!

mvr, Jan 2, 4:49am
Baxters Bush Cherry Tomatoes apparantly they dont need staking, but guess what - mine are all starting to fall over as the fruit develops! And there's heaps of tiny green tomatoes on all of them. I've tied them together with pantyhose but I'm thinking I might need to put a stake in.But isnt it bad to do that once theyre established!any ideas/suggestions!

kiwiscrapper1, Jan 2, 5:19am
tonight we are having potatoes, lettuce and beetroot all from my garden, I wish the rest would hurry up and grown. Tomatoes are very slow.I will sign up too, I would love to be able to have veges all the time from my garden.

jules., Jan 2, 9:01am
i have been very slack with my tomatos, i have just been out and cut the lower extra branches off and tied them all to the stakes. i put the stakes in when i planted them so as not to disturb the roots when they were more developed. theres plenty of flowers on them all and few small green babies, so heres hoping for a good crop for some relish! i rumaged for some more spuds today too for dinner, found 6 really good sized ones off a couple of plants without digging too deep, they were so nice boiled with a bit of mint.

whiskey13, Jan 2, 9:38am
#942 daleaway why do you say that citrus won't do well in my area! We'rve had a lemon tree in for about 8-9 years and it has a continuous supply of lemons. And the mandarin tree i was given before xmas is going great guns as well.

daleaway, Jan 2, 7:06pm
Read it again, I said "as well as" pip and stone fruit, which can tolerate lower winter temperatures than citrus.

juliewn, Jan 2, 9:33pm
Hi Quantum :-). isn't it great how a wander around your own garden can be so relaxing and inspiring - especially at this time of the year when so much growth is happening. Hi Kiwi. my tomatoes are growing quite slowly too. I've added sheep pellets on the soil around them and water them well each day, hoping that will give them a boost. I've planted two supertoms this year - a moneymaker and a sweet 100 - and the tomato plants that have come up around my compost bin are growing more quickly and flowering well. I've not grown supertoms before - hopefully they'll do well. Have a lovely day everyone :-)

bren16, Jan 3, 5:41am
Thanks juliewn. Just signed up.just getting to the stage where I really enjoy my garden and hopefully will be extending it shortly.Cheers.Bren

juliewn, Jan 3, 11:13am
Hi Bren. you're welcome . :-) it's an interesting site they have there. I'm like you - really enjoying my new garden. After being busy for several years with other things - I'm now finding time to createmy garden - I keep being told that 2008 is the year for new beginnings - my garden sure is that - as I create it to how I'd like it to look. Enjoy your garden. Cheers. Julie

alia1, Jan 3, 7:10pm
I signed up and sent in a photograph showing my beans & snow peas with my feathery Phylica Pubescens in between in the hope of winning a packet of silverbeet seeds.

jules., Jan 4, 8:22am
i got my first golden courgette a few days ago, YUM!
the peas are done now though :(
i went to palmers today, they had huge, laden with fruit, tomato plants 1/2 price, so i couldnt help myself, thought it would be nice to have the different varieties.
also the warehouse had containers with 3 cucumber plants (good size with small cucs on already) reduced to clear for $2, so had to have one of those too.
so all round its been a good cheap day :)
now i just have to dig up the last of the spuds to make room for the new additions.

oh, happy new year to you all :)