Using grass clippings as vege mulch?

beamisgr8, Mar 27, 3:44am
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone uses grass clippings on their vege garden to keep down weeds and keep soil cool for winter crops! Seen this talked about, but have a weird phobia about motor oil from the mower, and influencing the flavour of the veg. Am I being irrational!

stevee6, Mar 27, 3:48am
Grass clippings are fine as long as they're completely dry. Motor oil doesn't seem to matter - probably depends whether they're saturated in oil though.

quanto64, Mar 27, 4:59am
We use grass clippings regularly for the veges, especially in the summer.I would suggest that there is something seriously wrong with your mower if there is oil from it.A normally functioning mower would have no oil.If there was an issue it would kill the grass first!So if your grass is healthy you will have no problems and no there is no danger of ANY tainting from your mower.Think of this. if you use chicky poo fertiliser do you have chicky poo taste in the veges.no you don't.plants are good at filtering that.Don't let you mind imagine things that are not.so go for the lawn clipping mulch

tigra, Mar 27, 7:18pm
Definitely a weird phobia. But you could use a push mower or an electric Flymo.

mkbooks, Mar 27, 7:45pm
Very irrational

ktkudu, Mar 28, 6:40am
Grass clippings are great for your vegies at this time of year, just make sure you water well before putting any kind of mulch on. And not too thick with the grass, or i've found it can get clumpy and not let the water through to the roots. Its a good source of nitrogen when it breaks down, you can sprinkle over some blood n bone before the mulch if you like. Grass is free, easy and its recycling.can't ask for better than that! And yeah, if your mower is in good working order you wont get any oil on your clippings

milkybar4, Mar 28, 7:24pm
use them, they're great for keeping moisture in and add nitrogen. i guess you could worry about petrol but i use truckloads and i mean it! of horse poo and my plants dont taste like horse poo : )

guest, May 20, 4:17pm
What I have generally told ppoele today is that when searching for a good internet electronics retail store, there are a few components that you have to think about. First and foremost, you should make sure to locate a reputable and reliable store that has received great opinions and scores from other consumers and business world advisors. This will ensure that you are getting through with a well-known store to provide good services and support to it's patrons. Thanks for sharing your opinions on this site./wp-login.php?action=registerThanks for your article. What I want to point out is that when searching for a good internet electronics retail outlet, look for a web page with total information on critical indicators such as the security statement, basic safety details, any payment guidelines, and other terms along with policies. Often take time to read the help and also FAQ sections to get a much better idea of what sort of shop will work, what they are capable of doing for you, and the way you can make use of the features. /wp-login.php?action=registerOne more thing is that when evaluating a good on the net electronics store, look for online stores that are regularly updated, retaining up-to-date with the newest products, the top deals, as well as helpful information on products and services. This will make sure that you are handling a shop which stays ahead of the competition and provides you things to make intelligent, well-informed electronics buys. Thanks for the vital tips I've learned from your blog.