Which brand of vege seeds is best.

south9, Nov 10, 10:30pm
Just starting off by building a raised vege garden planter box. There seems to be quite a few brands of veg seeds available - anyone any good/bad experiences with a particular brand please. ?
Tks & rgds

maccachic1, Nov 10, 11:06pm
I like Kings personally: http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/

Always have a good strike rate direct into my garden.

wasgonna, Nov 11, 12:58am
I've found McGregor seeds to be rubbish but others may find they're ok. Not keen on Yates either.

lythande1, Nov 11, 1:01am
Your own.
Doesn't matter really. had success with all brands.

jenny188, Nov 12, 3:23am
Check the packet for expiry date. The newer the seeds, the better the "strike" rate.You get what you pay for generally, but some of the dearer packs can contain 30% more seed than some cheaper options. Conditions that they are sown under also effects germination, i.e. temperature,, watering etc.

cleggyboy, Nov 12, 3:27am
I got some from them and very disappointed. Radishes the easiest veg to grow only two seeds germinated and then just stayed still, must be old seed. So I have given up.

south9, Nov 12, 9:30am
Tks everyone - will take it all on board.

krystu, Nov 13, 7:12am
I have found kings and Yates the best. Not much luck with McGregors ether.

nchun, Nov 13, 7:46am
If you grow open pollinate varieties (non-hybridised) then you will be able to harvest seed to grow the following year and not have to buy seeds again. http://www.ecoseeds.co.nz have a good range of open pollinate vegetable varieties. Cheers!

blans, Nov 13, 8:38am
check out Egmont seeds,order on line and you will have them in a cple of days, better range than the normal brands

mardi5, Nov 16, 2:31am
Kings Seeds

boop2, Nov 18, 5:37am
Can't help but agree. We bought kakabeak nothing in pkt took it back and got another then zuccinhi with only 5 seeds instead of 15. I was so angry I emailed them and they made a big thing of sending a replacement hoped we were happy with their gift. What a joke 1 pkt they really gave us just 5 seeds never again will I buy them. Have always found Kings seeds great.

paora-tm, Nov 18, 6:04am
Had no problem with cheap Warehouse seeds - Carnival which are either from Kings or Egmont Seeds. Had problems with seeds from TradeMe sellers!

macandrosie, Nov 18, 6:12am
Egmont seeds are very good, although having said that it's important some vege seeds are really fresh. Always check the expiry date on the back. If you ever get a parsnip going to seed keep the seed head & place in a paper bag. You will get get good germination the following year. They are one vegetable that needs to be fresh seed each year.

bluefrog2, Nov 21, 1:14am
Yates, McGregor are okay. Make sure to check the expiry date and stick to it. King's is pricey and only available from some garden centres, but they have some rare varieties no other brand has.

niffer13, Nov 21, 7:10am
Kings seeds have a heap more seed per PKT than other brands & U can order on line.
I can't fault them

feisha, Nov 21, 8:37am
If you are interested in heritage seeds, Koanga and Kings are both very good, in my experience.

bestie1, Jul 25, 11:52pm
"wondering if the seeds themselves know what brand packet they're going into?"
Or if seed are seeds?