Cats digging up my seeds.

Page 1 / 2
smendalbear, Nov 29, 8:00pm
Whats the best to use to keep Cats off of the vegie garden. Keep digging up seeds and plants and leaving their Do Dos.

trad, Nov 29, 8:18pm
I cover seeds with wire netting. Plants I poke pruned twigs into the ground at a spacing that cats would have difficulty getting through.

illusion_, Nov 29, 9:27pm
This.

But I make like netting cloches that are big enough to cover the plants untill they are well established and the birds cant damage them.

standard, Nov 29, 9:32pm
Get an electronic cat scarrer from China, brilliant, we have 3 now and no more cat visitors !

sailor13, Nov 29, 10:22pm
Hi standard where did you get them from ?

eljayv, Nov 30, 12:00am
Would like one of those but better still a pigeon scarer

standard, Nov 30, 1:29am
Aliexpress or Ebay Around $20 each and free postage !

standard, Nov 30, 1:30am
You can set them for birds too, did that in the vege garden, no more scratched out seedlings.

eljayv, Nov 30, 6:54am
Can you identify the model or brand please?

paix1, Nov 30, 8:01am
I just went to Bin Inn and bought a quantity of Chilli powder - sprinkled all along the edge of the garden, plus where they had been for 3 weeks. Haven't seen any cat poop since - and that was over 6mths ago.

standard, Nov 30, 8:31am
Will have a look tomorrow, too dark now!

niffer13, Nov 30, 8:35am
Sounds like yours is better than my "much more" expensive on bought on line in NZ. I would like to keep birds out so I don't have to cover strawberries.

taurus2005, Nov 30, 10:12pm
Yep, works like magic.

scottea, Dec 1, 12:24am
We've always used lemon and orange peels - cats do not seem to like the aroma of them.

tal5, Dec 1, 12:47am
I went to the $2 shop and bought moth balls, works extremely well!

mm12345, Dec 1, 1:24am
Don't those things risk harming cats' hearing, cause them emotional distress, or interfere with their natural right to do anything they like?

yjeva, Dec 1, 1:26am
No because they don't stay long enough to listen to them! And what right do they have to shit in other people's gardens? No more than I do!

yjeva, Dec 1, 1:29am
I would love to know where you found them for that price. Aliexpress are $US58.96. (which is about $90NZ) and when I tried to find one on Ebay they all said no shipping available to NZ.
I got one from Easytek in NZ for $99

standard, Dec 1, 4:16am
No model or brand on them, just called an Ultrasonic animal repeller

standard, Dec 1, 4:18am
Ours have 5 different settings depending on the animal that is "visiting"

standard, Dec 1, 4:19am
Certainly wouldn't have got our 3 at those prices !

illusion_, Dec 1, 7:31am
ebay for NZD30.19 incl shipping

an "Ultrasonic Pest Rodent Repellent"

niffer13, Dec 2, 1:52am
Only setting on mine is on & off.

standard, Dec 2, 2:13am
Awww shame.

mm12345, Dec 2, 2:45am
The ultrasonic scarers don't work. They're a scam for all species.
Even the ones with IR detectors that put out a very high sound pressure level burst when a cat or other pest walks by don't work long-term. Look on yotube - cats sh!t themselves the first time, as you would, but get used to it in a few days and learn to ignore it. There are videos on youtube showing this happen over a couple of days with the same cats being filmed. Same with butane cannons in vinyards, they work a bit for a while, then birds just ignore them. Animals are a bit smarter than we think. Salmon farmers in the Sounds used to use tuna bombs to scare seals away from the salmon pens - which worked for a while, until the seals learned to treat the tuna bombs as a dinner gong - the bombs started attracting hordes of seals instead of repelling them.
There's no scientific evidence to show that the ultrasonic devices work for rats and mice at all, only "make believe scientific evidence" made up by the scamsters selling them.
The water spray devices with IR detectors do work with cats though. Quite effectively. That - or a dog in a fenced yard - may be the best option.