Spinach seeds - expert advice please

castlerea, Mar 16, 9:53am
Hi, my 8 year old and I have planted spinach seeds inside in seed-raising mix and we're waiting for them to germinate - but how long should this take? It's been a week. As you can tell, we are gardening novices but very keen to grow our own spinach!

firefly001, Mar 16, 6:10pm
Bumping for you. I've never had any luck with spinach just seems to bolt for me but I have some perpetual stuff which I must plant out. But should be any day now surely!?

bluefrog2, Mar 16, 8:22pm
Do you still have the seed packet? Germination time should be written on it.
I think spinach germination time depends on temperature.
I plant my crop in spring and it takes weeks - maybe 3-4 weeks to germinate. I think it's faster in warmer temperatures, but the failure rate for seed germination is quite high as well. It's one of those crops where you have to use up all the seed in the pack ASAP because they won't keep for another season.

For really fast germination - results within a week, try Mizuna or one of the brassicas.

lilyfield, Mar 17, 2:00am
I soak seeds overnight for speedier germination. Can take 14 days

cleggyboy, Mar 17, 3:26am
Tetragonia tetragonioides (NZ native spinach) grows very well here, I have grown it several times and it readily self seeds, but not a nuisance.

harrislucinda, Mar 17, 3:42am
does it not say on the packet up to 21 days some seeds

castlerea, Mar 17, 5:25am
Thanks for this, sounds like I need to wait a bit longer. I bought the seeds off an organic grower on trade me so they were in an envelope rather than a conventional packet. Patience is key, I guess!

bluefrog2, Mar 18, 9:44pm
I have never managed to grow this from seed in Dunedin. Not outdoors, not in the glasshouse. Tried soaking first, tried not soaking first, tried different starter mixes, you name it. Tried every year for 5 years and nothing ever came up.

bluefrog2, Mar 18, 9:46pm
Um, you tend to get a better strike rate off the conventional seed packs because they have to publish expiry dates and guarantee the seed will sprout before the expiry date.

robke, Mar 19, 3:07am
THey do take a bit longer up to two weeks sometimes

oh_hunnihunni, Mar 19, 4:09am
I let one plant go to seed and have a constant supply. No idea how long it takes, but I agree with temperature being the deciding factor.

brightlights60, Mar 19, 7:01am
Mrs B here. Depends on what its planted in, the temperature, how much water you are giving it and the seeds. As long as its not planted too deep, the soil is fine, and you are keeping it damp (not wet) should be ok.

castlerea, Feb 27, 10:55am
Well our first seed has germinated, wahoo! It's only taken two weeks. Just waiting now for the other 23 seeds to sprout.