Tomato seeds

primrose01, Jul 31, 12:56am
Thinking of ordering my tomato seeds for this year. My tomatoes were not great last year. Any recommendations for awesome flavour and healthy strong plants? Thanks

trade4us2, Jul 31, 2:38am
I bought a Maxitom Sweet 100 plant for $5 last spring. I'm still getting tomatoes off it although it's nearly dead. I had grilled tomatoes and cheese on toast for lunch!

sailor13, Jul 31, 2:39am
I always use egmont seeds .co.nz they will send you a catalogue I plant big beef early girl sweet million Russian red lots of cow poo.
good luck

lythande1, Jul 31, 4:02am
Seeds out of your favorite tomato you have eaten.
I did that ages ago with the smaller (not cherry) ones from Beekist. Been saving seed form my plants ever since.
They are roughly golfball sized.

family007, Aug 3, 7:43am
I recommend a heritage variety called Peron. It's a large ox heart fruit, slightly orange skin with a pale red flesh. I grew one in my glass house and it faltered through summer but come autumn and it shone! Heaps of large fruit and very sweet too. To me, its a late season variety.

brightlights60, Aug 3, 7:54am
My tomatoes in the last few years have not been great, until I bought 4 mutant tomato plants from a school fair last year. OMG. Ugly fruit, but really really prolific, and great tasting. Near as I can gather, I think they may have been Mortgage Lifter (and I notice some for sale on here), so I kept some of the seeds and will grow them again this year. Also, we have been buying little NZ grown cherry type tomatoes from the supermarket this Winter. Normally I don't bother with tomatoes over Winter as the ones from the Supermaret are crap, but these have been fabulous. So will grow some early little ones as well.

cantabman1, Aug 3, 7:26pm
The Dutch always keep improving the seed,, with more disease resistance so always keep trying the new varieties. Hopefully there is plenty of flavour.

westigal, Aug 4, 2:17am
Growing Amish tomatoes for pasta sauce, Black krim for flavor and disease resistance, no blight last year and really strong plants., and only two cherry tomatoes this year. had so many cherry tomatoes last year got sick of them.

All to be grown from saved seed, so will be interesting to see how they go

nickyd, Aug 4, 10:17am
I loved the flavour of Campari last year ( I think Mitre 10 had them) - really lovely. Also enjoy Black Krim and the sweet 100 type . I had one called Tommy toe also and this was a great success - lots of quite small but nice tasting tomatoes - just went on and on. I'm addicted to tomatoes

lm446, Nov 4, 3:01pm
Kings seeds :
Midnight -a Russian black one
Black cherry, also Russian I think