Newbie needs help with tomato plants

pietlee, Dec 11, 12:41am
Hi everyone. I am a total newbie to gardening but really want to learn so that my kids can learn. We went to our local garden shop and I asked for advice. The lady sold me a tray of cherry tomato (sweet 100) seedlings and said I could plant them in a large pot. I did exactly what she told me but after googling, have discovered that there are FAR too many plants in the pot. Apparently there should be 1 plant per pot and I have about 9 in it. Can I take them out (I have read that they have a root network so scared of hurting them) and can I just dig up a bit of the grass along our fence and plant them in there? Advice GREATLY appreciated. :)

dibble35, Dec 11, 1:01am
Yes go with 1 per pot. If you dont have a bit of turned over garden ready to go then I would plant them all in pots. Even buckets with holes for drainage would be fine. Cherry tomatoes will need something ti grow up, so buy some bamboo stakes. Or put buckets along a fence against some thing they can be tied to as they grow up. Remember to water them well, especially in pots as they can dry out pretty quickly. And liquid feed them if you can with something like liquid fish fertilizer and seasol. I've used this combo for a few years now and find it keeps the plants growing strongly and healthily. I also use sheep pellets but this mightn't work so well with the plants in pots.

pietlee, Jul 9, 2:11pm
Thanks for all the advice!