Topping tomato plants

karmae, Jan 16, 2:31am
Can I ? without killing them.
In pot and have got taller than stakes. Kept going to pinch end out but away for a week and it grew quite a bit. Both ends that are too tall have got flowers on it plus about 4 inches of growth after that. If I can cut top off how close to flowers can you go, presume I'll have to leave some leaves above?
Also leaves branches very long can I take quarter off them too.
Its kumato, very healthy and strong (at the moment)
There a green tomatoes on it lower down and the upper flowers show some fruit forming

lythande1, Jan 16, 4:16am
Sure. They will continue to branch however, but prune if you need to keep them under control. They do tend to turn into tomato vine. :-)

karmae, Jan 16, 4:53am
Thanks, shame its not thin I don't feel so bad pinching growth, but cutting it
was concerned I would kill it

cantabman1, Jan 16, 5:54am
just a hint for the future, allow one or two stronger laterals to grow lower down as i do. It is nonsence to just have one main vine on a healthy tomato as long as you feed it well.[chicken manure and slow release fert]

alessia, Jan 16, 7:36am
can you pinch laterals out of a cherry tomato plant. I heard you shouldn't.

Thanks to those that reply.

socram, Jan 16, 7:47am
As a total newbie, I read that on grafted stock, you don't need to pinch out the laterals. I have a "Sweet 100" plant (grafted) going like the clappers and I pinch out the laterals. Fruiting very well and picked about 45 so far (17 tonight!).

alessia, Jan 16, 11:11am
what a wonderful plant you have socram. Mine is at the flowering stage. Hope it turns out like yours.

justme27, Jan 16, 6:40pm
Thanks for this thread karmae, I have a cherry tomatoe which is growing like crazy, have warned the neighbours that it'll be taking them over soon too so am very pleased to read that I can safely trim it back a bit :)

karmae, Jun 8, 12:11pm
I've got some tomatoes on mid to lower with lots of flowers higher, but as the higher flowers wont have much support for weight and above stake they will but ones I have to cut off. I m delaying action.
As only got 2 plants in pots haven't bought any special tomatoes fertilizer, just using thrive, hope that's enough