Tiny winged bugs under leaves on tomato plants and

fiona98, Jan 19, 1:04am
leaves looking droopy and dyhydrated.Any one know what this might be,could it be the tiny white fly!Looking for natural remedy to fix it, would dish liquid watered down in spray bottle do it!If so how much dish liquid to water do I mix.Any advice appreciated :)

max.headroom, Jan 19, 5:04am
Have they got fluffy wings and are similar to an aphid

spiritofgonzo, Jan 19, 5:06am
yes it's whitefly.It doesn't really matter what you spray with, but you need to spray under the leaves, every 3 days, for 2 weeks.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 19, 5:06am
miss a day, and you start again (very quick life cycles)

fiona98, Jan 19, 5:48am
No fluffy wings and not an aphid as I know what aphids look like, think its white fly, I sprayed with dish washing liquid today and will continue doing so, thanks for the advice.

lythande1, Jan 19, 5:55am
How big! What colour!

surfinjonny, Jan 19, 6:59am
If its not white fly then it would most likely be tomato potato psyllid, a relatively new pest to new zealand but an extremely damaging pest to all the solanaceae family (tomatoes, potatoes, tamarillos, caps etc). Looks like a tiny cicada with a white stripe on its abdomen. There should be a whole lot of small brown and green nymphs on the underside of the leaves and if you look really close there will be little orange eggs on the leaves smaller than a pin head. Hopefully it is whitefly and not psyllid. http://www.biosecurity.govt.nz/pests/potato-tomato-psyllid

fiona98, Jan 20, 5:02am
It is pure white and very very small, much smaller than a normal fly.Definately not the psyllid thankfully.

spiritofgonzo, Jan 30, 10:40am
definitely whitefly.Very common for tomatoes, tamarillos, and pelargoniums.