Green Shield bugs

infinityjrc, Jan 18, 9:18am
Hi I have these horrible shield bugs that are infesting my garden they appear every year and wreck the plants and I end up bringing some inside when I pick vegs I hate them. How to I get rid of them for good? Do they find their way from other peoples gardens. they seem to be in my broccoli and tomatoes and silverbeet and Kale at the moment; Is there a natural predator I have been squashing the ones I can see but every day there seem to be more; I have bought neem oil has anyone killed them before with this?

spider47, Jan 18, 9:31am
If you grow Cleomes near your veggie garden, or in it, the bugs go on those and just before dark you can shake them off into a bag and squish them.
I haven't used spray.
They are the most disgusting bugs.

wheelz, Jan 18, 10:27am
And they taste as bad as they smell too!
I remember my mum cooking some home grown silver beet, obviously she missed a few!

infinityjrc, Jan 19, 5:45am
Hi thanks for the heads up with Cliome; do they grow easily from seed as I haven't seen them in the plant packs in the garden centre? That seems a great thing to do; obviously they love Cliome. does one ever get rid of the bugs? Or to more fly in attracted to the Cliome? I have picked them out of the broccoli and am killing about 5-10 per night when I go out to look for them, they seem to like the kale silverbeet and tomatoes as well! Will Cliome grow all through the year or just summer?

fogs, Mar 27, 1:10am
I tried cleomes they didn't help but nasturtium's did and squashing them putting in a spray bottle with water and spraying on the plants works